Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Newbie Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Newbie « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

robert rowell
Tinkerer
Username: Caveman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, im new to classic cameras and this site so i thought id say "hi". ive been interested in photography since i was about 10 yrs old when i had my 1st camera. it was a polaroid instant, i cant remember the model. a year or so later my parents bought me my 1st slr, a zenith em! and 25 years or so later here i am.
anyway, ive just bought my 1st "classic", a yashica j 35mm. i was hoping someone could give me some information about these cameras. its in vgc with an ever ready case and i paid the princely sum of £2.00!
also, what classics are the ones to look out for?
which ones should i avoid?
thanks in advance
rob.

Gary A. Turner
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will probably get a lot of personal opinions here on just what are the best collectibles! So many classic brands & models to choose from but one usually has only so much space, time & money. Some collectors (wisely?) narrow their search to a few types and brands. A collector might want certain 'benchmark' models that became trend setters. For some the search can be addictive and very costly (even upsetting spouses). You might want to concentrate on a 'top 20' or so? Sounds like you already like the 35mm SLR category. The Yashica TL Super and TL Electro X are maybe even nicer examples than the earlier but very decent J series. When I started collecting I just wanted one representative camera from various well-regarded manufacturers. Staying within a monthly budget often limited me to the lower end of the scale! Your budget may dictate otherwise (?). Here's some of my recommendations for a well rounded collection of representative and mostly affordable models: 35mm SLR - Exakta Varex VX, Zeiss Contax D, Praktica FX, Nikon F & F2, Pentax SV or SP, Canon FT & F1 (1st), Topcon RE Super, Minolta SR-7 or SRT 101, Olympus OM-1, Konica T. In medium format you might consider a Rolleiflex TLR such as the more affordable Automat. With folding cameras I'd suggest a Kodak Retina, Zeiss Ikonta B & C with Tessar lens. Another popular collector niche is 35mm viewfinder & rangefinder; here we might include Leica III, Voigtlander Vito B, Konica III, early Canonet and if you can afford them, the Contax II & III, Voigtlander Prominent I, Leica M3 and Canon 7. If you want to add an American camera or two then the Kodak Signet 35, Medalist & Monitor 6x9 are well-regarded. The tiny Bolsey Jubilee is kind of nice too. Soviet cameras are another category you might consider such as Zorki 6, Kiev 4A, Fed 3. Some other interesting 35mm SLRs might include: Cosina Hi-Lite based model such as Argus Cosina STL 1000, Chinonflex based model such as Ricoh Singlex TLS. I have left out many cameras that others will consider critical and I have probably mentioned some that may be considered as marginal. I hope this topic and any apparent bias does not open up a 'can of worms'.

John Farrell
Tinkerer
Username: John_f

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends on what you intend to do with your cameras. If you are looking just to use them, then you will be restricting yourself to working cameras. If you are looking to practice repair, then almost any camera will suit you - you will not be concerned about reliability. Non working cameras are available very cheaply, and repair information can be found for most. The tools needed are available.
Most cameras are constructed on similar lines, so other fixed lens rangefinders are like your Yashica, just as most mechanical SLRs are similar. (Zenits and Fujicas excepted!).
I suggest that you take the opportunity to acquire and enjoy cameras as your fancy takes you.

robert rowell
Tinkerer
Username: Caveman

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, thanks for your replies, i think i'm just going to buy any camera that takes my eye! having been on ebay looking at the cameras on there, there are plenty to choose from.
i must admit, i do like yashica rangefinders, then again there aren't many vintage 35mm cameras that i don't like! looks like i'm going to have to find some room to house them.
regards
robert.

Rob_the_waste
Tinkerer
Username: Rob_the_waste

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, I don't know how your marital stability stands, but pace yourself. Keep an eye out at local camera fairs. Sometimes you'll see something that seems like a great deal, and then you might find you could have had the same camera for 1/3 the price. The most I've spent for one camera (other than the digicam) was $45.00. I've picked up a nice old folding Ikonta for $5.75 US on E-Bay, all because its description didn't guarantee that it worked. If you're looking for an SLR, an old Praktica with an M42 lens mount might be your ticket. Bodies are dirt cheap, and they're not that bad. Lenses aren't hard to find either. I got a Pentacon electric 1.8/50 lens for $10.00 at a camera fair, and I get nice results with it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration