Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander rangerfinder adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Voigtlander rangerfinder adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Redsnapper
Tinkerer
Username: Redsnapper

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All!

I'm a brand new member here with a particular interest in old Voigtlanders of which I have a number (amongst other old cameras). I'm beginning to get together the tools and confidence to do a number repairs myself and I've a Vitomatic IIa for which the rangefinder is accurate up to several metres but goes badly out at longer distances up to infinity. I know I could just use a accessory shoe rangefinder (I have an accurate Voigtlander one) or zone focusing which I'm well used to but it would be nice to get the original properly adjusted!

Does anybody have any experience or tips to pass on with such a repair?

Many thanks in advance!

Richard

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have adjusted Vitomatic IIa rangefinders on several occasions but I didn't keep any specific notes because the procedure was so straight forward and intuitive.

The rear face of the focusing lens element housing is not flat but is rather a cam which pushes a pin when the element is rotated for focusing. The pin passes through the shutter periphery and into the camera chassis. If you remove the camera's top-plate you will be able to see what is going on. The rangefinder has adjustment possibilities for "throw"; for vertical image coincidence and for horizontal image coincidence. If you adjust for Infinity - the other focused distances will be correct.
The adjustments are micrometer super-sensitive and you may struggle a bit to get all exactly right but it is quite"doable".
UNLESS some plumber has in there before you and decided his Dremel-Tool can do a better job than the Voigtlander designers!

Redsnapper
Tinkerer
Username: Redsnapper

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ethostech!

With your hints and reassurance I feel confident to have a go when I have some quiet moments and will report back on progress in due course.

All the best!

Richard

Nalasicnarf
Tinkerer
Username: Nalasicnarf

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Count me in gentlemen-an old beginner I did the unthinkable and sewing machine oiled my good new vitessa L to fix slow shutters-WRONG. Still it's a memory lane trip for me as my 21st birthday vitessa was stolen yonks ago. I will fix.
Alan Francis

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well,

I have had the top of my Vitomatic IIa off for three days and cannot see any adjustment screws. There is one, which sits horizontally on the rangefinder arm and is springloaded, but turning it does nothing.

Any ideas or pictures that would lead me in the right directions?

Many thanks,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration