Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon GIII QL17 the light meter doesn... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon GIII QL17 the light meter doesn't work but battery check light works fine. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bn94034
Tinkerer
Username: Bn94034

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for this website.
My QL17 which I got it from ebay, the light meter doesn't work but battery check light works fine. It worked fine few day ago. Can somebody give me some advice, please.

Ken_h
Tinkerer
Username: Ken_h

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
Are you aware that the meter only works in the "A" mode, not at all in the manual mode, and the battery test light will work in all modes.
Most of the meter problems are due to bad battery contacts or corroded wire or loose battery contact.
Get a copy of the instruction manual from this very site...it will be helpful.

Bn94034
Tinkerer

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice Ken_h.
I know that the meter only works in A mode.
The problem is that the meter doesn't work in A mode and the battery check light works fine. What I found is If I make a ramdom connection from the meter wire to the metal part of the body, the gauge starts to move down.

Ken_h
Tinkerer
Username: Ken_h

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find that most of the meter/test lite problems are solved in the black battery box in the bottom of the camera...Remove the base plate and make note of how the spring & battery cover door are installed...next remove the 2 black screws that hold the plastic battery box in place...there is a plastic strip under one screw....carefully remove the battery box...it has a wire attached to a small brass plate that is held to the back of the battery box by two small plastic tabs....many times this plate has come loose and may need to be re-glued to the battery box....clean the (+) terminal...I use a bit of small emery cloth....now look into the cavatiy where the battery box was....there is a metal (-) terminal....clean it also...I sometimes take a small screwdriver and slip under the center of this terminal and pry it outward...just a little to make a stronger battery contact....re-assemble and try it with a battery....meter should work in A position and test light should work.... This procedure solves most of my meter/test lite problems. I believe that if you clean both terminals so that they make good battery contact, it may solve your problem.

Bn94034
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned the both terminal the checked the strong battery contect but looks exactly same as before. I still suspect that there should be a disconnection of wire somewhere in the top part of the camera.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is most probably nothing wrong with the battery holder, because otherwise the checklight would be off. But there are quite a few other things to consider, like the meter itself (not very probable, though) and its variable resistor, the LDR (aka CdS cell) and the switchboard under the nameplate around the front lens (carrying resistors and sliding contacts) which in one of my QL III's was drenched through with cider, gravy or sth. similar, liquids sometimes find their way there over time leaving electricity no chance at all. This is to say the meter behaved like the one in your camera. I am not saying that this is a description of what your camera exactly suffers from.
Discussing the whats and ifs will not take you one step forward. So take my advice, take off the top cap and go in from the front lens (the trickiest step!), then check everything, an ohmmeter will be of great help.
This forum is full info about tools, ways and means (accessible through search function!) on the C QL 17, W.

Folke
Tinkerer
Username: Folke

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my Canon, the meter needle touched the aperture scale and needed to be bent ever so slightly.

Thene
Tinkerer
Username: Thene

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to say thank you, Ken_h for your information on the battery housing. My QL17 GIII was bought in excellent condition & I only shot a couple of rolls then left it in the cupboard.
I took it out to find the battery test light didn't work so, I went to camera shop & bought some batteries, only to find when I replaced it - the light meter or battery light didn't work.

It took me a couple of tries (I glued the brass plate to the black battery housing plastic). It now works perfectly.

Thanks so much, a little bit of time & effort saved me quite a bit of money.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration