Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stiff shutter speed ring Hi-matic 7s ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Stiff shutter speed ring Hi-matic 7s rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kitedan
Tinkerer
Username: Kitedan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any experience with un-sticking shutter speed / aperture rings on rangefinders?

In particular the shutter speed ring on my Hi-matic 7s is stiff and I need to free it - I am told Ronsonol will do the trick but does this mean dismantling the lens?

Thanks

Dan

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The (old, reliable, sturdy) Hi-Matics are sometimes a bit odd, but it is hard to tell what is wrong with yours: freeing aperture AND shutter speed rings, that's different matters!
Ronsonol? Yes AND no, it depends on what the problem is.
My advice is check this forum (or the net) for more info if you are not familiar with this rather complicated sort of camera (Hi-M 7/ 7s/ 9) first, otherwise you repair attempts will produce a mess, the camera is certainly worth the effort. (It will definitely not be easy for a newbie, though), W.

Kitedan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is only the shutter speed ring that is stiff, this extends under the aperture ring so i am wondering if the cause of the stiffness is deeper than just under the surface.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 54

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kitedan, if you insert a cotton swab moistened with lighter fluid into the EV hole of the aperture ring and then turn that one it should be possible to clean the extension of the shutter speed ring under the aperture ring, and if it is just dirt there that keeps it from moving smoothly your problem will be gone after the cleaning procedure.
But I am afraid your problem is deeper inside the lens barrel. Turning the shutter speed ring means setting the escapement of the shutter. If dirt and grime sit anywhere down there you will have to open up the camera from the front. This includes unscrewing the two-notched ring inside the filter thread, removal of (1)name plate incl. desoldering of wires, (2)ring plus plastic ring around the front lens cell, (3)front part of lens barrel (ASA/DIN ring, (4)speed ring, (5)aperture ring. Underneath there is the black metal top cover of the shutter/selftimer escapements. Taking this one off (five tiny slothead, or, with the newer models, crosshead screws) and even more so putting it back requires more than basic skills. You will have to deal with loose parts defining speed stops and four wires (white, black, yellow, red). Unfortunately very often there is dirt right under this plate causing the speed cam to be stiff. This Japanese repair page about the Hi-M 9 (practically the same as the 7 or 7s) can give you an idea of what you will be faced with:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/daisaku/d59.htm

Kitedan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information Wernerjb - very informative

The camera wind mechanism has now jammed and the last film through showed no exposures despite the shutter appearing to fire, so i think it is going to need a more detailed inspection.

Dan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration