Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh KR30 sp Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Ricoh KR30 sp « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a mint Ricoh KR30 sp. It appears that the mirror has slipped down and hits the flange on the back of the bayonet lens. With lenses without the flange, the mirror flips up without any problem. The mirror appears to be tight, and so my question is, how to remove the mirror so that it can be reglued in the proper position. Comparing it with my KR10 super, the mirror appears to be even with the bottom of the mirror plate. On the KR30 sp, it is approximately 1/16" below the mirror plate. I 'll have to be careful not to damage the silver backing on the mirror. Thanks, Harlee

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a common problem with that series. Heat is the likely cause to allow the mirror to slip from its frame.

The mirroring on it and all SLRs is on the top of the mirror, not the bottom. Its what is known as a first surface mirror. Most household mirrors are second or rear surface.

You can use a thin wide blade to free the mirror from the frame. I think they used double-sided tape. Work slowly between the frame and the mirror across the front.

Once you have the mirror loose, you can re-seat it so the frame and mirror edge are even again.

Good Luck, KP

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harlee --

I remember your post from September regarding this problem.

I used an X-Acto knife blade to slide behind (under) the mirror. Then I used 3 tiny dots of contact cement to reglue the mirror.

And remember, the silvering is on the front (top) of the mirror, so no worries about scraping it with the knife.

And remember to check your infinity focus when you are done.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot guys. I actually returned that camera, but after I read your post, the other day I went back to the pawn shop and that camera was still there. Everything works on it, except with the mirror problem, and since I have a PK Zoom lens and a Ricoh winder, I thought for $29, with standard Ricoh lens included, it would be worth it. I was concerned about the silver on back of the mirrow however, so your post has helped me on there. I'll get on it one of these days and hopefully, I'll have a nice outfit. Thanks again, Harlee

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I went ahead and removed the mirror, using an X-Acto knife as suggested, and it came right off. Cleaned off the old sticky stuff, dabed it in three places with contact cement, replaced the mirror, pressing it down with a tissue, let it stand for about half an hour and behold, the mirror now clears all of the lenses I've got. It's really a nice little outfit, with 28-80 zoom, winder and sports grip. Unfortunately the zoom doesn't appear to have an "A" setting on it, and I'm wondering if setting it on F16 will work for Program mode. I'll know better tomorrow when I get it outdoors. If it doesn't then I'll use it in aperature mode. Thanks again fellas. Harlee

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool!

Trotter
Tinkerer
Username: Trotter

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Harlee still out there? This is Trotter (Bill Clayton). I just purchased a KR-30SP off EBAY and am having the same problem. This post is really helping.... I like the camera, but was thinking of sending it back unless I can fix it. It's not worth paying a camera repair shop to do the job. Is your mirror still holding up?

Thanks, Bill

Jmoscov
Tinkerer
Username: Jmoscov

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with this model, Ricoh KR30 sp. I took it to Terry's Camera in Long Beach, CA. The camera did not need service, so I fixed the mirror myself with epoxy (super bond). Caveat - I was lucky, the mirror came out of the camera body intact, with no breaks. If you buy one of these cameras, always check the mirror before you purchase it or use it. Also, you have to be very careful when regluing. The idea is to get the mirror back in without getting any bonding material on the surface.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still here, if this web site will accept my name and PW. It's rejected it three times so far. Harlee

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, now that I'm accepted, re: Trotter's post. I removed the mirror on my KR30SP with an xacto knife and it came right off. I then placed three small dabs of contact cement on the place where it was originally, repositioned the mirror and thus far it's been holding just fine and the mirror clears any PK mount lens. Thanks guys for the great and helpful input. Harlee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration