Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon A-1 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pcb
Tinkerer
Username: Pcb

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I recently acquired a used Canon A-1 camera in good shape, except for a problem --- once the shutter is tripped and the advance lever turned, the camera needs to be turned off then on again to take another picture.

To explain in more detail: I turn the camera on. I push the shutter release button down part way and the metering info appears in the viewfinder as it should (metering appears to be correct, agrees with my other A-1's). Push the button all the way and the shutter is released. Advance the film. This is the end of proper functioning. Now if I push the shutter release button down part way nothing appears in the viewfinder, no meter reading, nothing. Push the button all the way and the shutter does not release. Now if I turn the camera off and then on again, the camera will work for one shot, then go "dead" again.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what is the cause or repair needed? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Pcb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Additional info to previous post:
I noticed in addition to turning the camera off then on, if I push the battery check button the camera will work properly for one photo, then go "dead" again. Turn camera off then on or push battery check button and camera works perfectly for one shot.

I understand that pushing the battery check button resets the camera's brain. Does anyone know why the camera needs to be reset after each photo to work? What causes this problem? What can be done to fix this problem?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 123

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery check button has no reset function on the A1. I would guess that what is actually happening; is that when you operate the check button, as the battery voltage is diverted from the operating to the test circuit, this gives the same result as switching off/on with main switch. ie in both cases battery voltage is remove from part of the circuit.

As to what is causing this and a remedy, I cannot give a quick answer/fix. It would appear that for some reason, the electronic timing/sequence is not completing the normal cycle. Hence the need to 'restart' the camera. I suggest you get hold of a copy of the proper A1 repair manual and work your way through the fault finding charts. The A1 has a number of insulating posts/strips that can become contaminated with dirt, if this happens short circuits/high resistance leaks may occur.

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I've seen that happen on the A-1. The contamination Glenn described is usually found in the battery check portion of the circuitry. The fix requires removing the top cover. The battery check has the post/insulator holding it atop the main circuit board.

Pcb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn and KRP,
Thank you for the thoughts. I'll try running the tests you mentioned.
Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration