Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet ql17 gIII broken shutter rele... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canonet ql17 gIII broken shutter release help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryan_b
Tinkerer
Username: Ryan_b

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone!
(first post)

i own two ql17 gIIIs, one of which i've broken due to forcing the shutter release button while it was locked (maybe it was in the auto setting?).

since then, i got the second one and replaced the light seals and cleaned the viewfinder, and i'm now quite comfortable opening these things up. i like using this camera, and i'd like to fix the broken one now, if possible.

i've removed the front panel, but i haven't been able to track down the mechanical problem so far.

does anyone know what specifically will bend/break if the shutter is forced on this camera?

thank you!

ryan

Ezio
Tinkerer
Username: Ezio

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the camera from the front, there is sort of a vertical lever to the left/upper to the lens. This lever has an upper protrusion at 90°, which is linked to a another lever that gets pressed down by the shutter release button. This connection is the most likely breaking point. With the front panel out, you should be able to fire the shutter by pressing down the vertical lever. If however by pressing the shutter you see this lever going down but the shutter doesn't fire, then the damage occurred further inside the mechanism.

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at Rick Oleson's page here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html

Any linkage could be just bent. You should study the function of the mechanism and find out which linkage could it be...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration