Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

... Tamron MF 28-200 SLR zoom lens wo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » ... Tamron MF 28-200 SLR zoom lens wobble ok? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Among the lenses I usually use with my Min SLRs there is a Tamron 28-200 zoom (type 71A), and although almost no metal is used in it, the lens is sturdy and reliable, there is no wobble or play at all, picture quality is fine. The disadvantage is that no polarizing filter can be used because the front lens turns when focusing.
On the newer 28-200 (type 171A) which I bought recently, focusing is done inside the lens, and also the closest possible focusing distance is shorter (0.8m), but towards the shorter end of the zoom range some considerable axial play can be felt. The whole lens mechanism seems a lot more fragile than that of its predecessor. I know that this lens type was first designed for autofocus SLRs and then, because of a considerable demand, it was redesigned for the many manually operated SLRs there are. What I would like to know is how much play is tolerable? Is the wobble I can feel the price lens designers and users have to pay when an originally mini-motor driven zoom lens is reissued as an MF variant, in other words transformed back into an ordinary MF lens to fit older cameras?
I hope there is someone out there who has the answer or knows the Tamron quirks.

A Merry Xmas and all the best for the New Year to all of you out there around the globe, W.

Chekawa
Tinkerer
Username: Chekawa

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Head over here http://www.adaptall-2.com/ You can find what your looking for. If not Email Michael and he is always willing to help people. Nice web site on Tamrons.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 79

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your helpful response, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration