Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Bellows removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Kodak Bellows removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dneumann
Tinkerer
Username: Dneumann

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased two broken No. 4a Folding Kodak cameras with the wooden lens board, and was hoping to combine them into one nice looking display piece. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to remove the bellows from the camera. I tried using the instructions in Tomosy's repair book on classic cameras, but its constructed differently. There are no screws underneath the leather on the wooden sides, and the bellows aren't held in with metal tabs, but rather seem to be screwed in with VERY stubborn screws that are prone to stripping. I really don't want to have to cut them out, so if anybody here has some advice, or a website I could consult, I would greatly appreaciate it. My google searches have turned up nothing.

Peterw
Tinkerer
Username: Peterw

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the screws go into wood you could try holding a hot soldering iron on the heads for a little while. I have found this sometimes breaks the corrosion that is holding them. If the bellows are glued as well, I have found with these old cameras, depending on the type of glue, that naptha (lighter fuel) or denatured alcohol will sometimes soften this if it is allowed to soak in the join. If not try hot water applied to the join with a small brush and allowed to soak in overnight.

Peter

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use sewing machine oil that I apply on the screws and leave overnight. have a look to the restoration of folding kodaks that you can find here: http://www.rusted.free.fr/cameraindex.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration