Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Asahi Pentax SV problems... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Asahi Pentax SV problems... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markw
Tinkerer
Username: Markw

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
I've just picked up a asahi pentax sv,nice condition,but having a couple of problems,,First the film counter did not work,, but i managed to sort it out and get it going again, but it does not reset to zero,,does back to five and starts counting up from there.
Second,,it came with the square type clip on meter,which did not work either,,but took it apart and found that a wire had corroded off,,so resoldered it back on,,now it works, but the meter needle is jumpy.

Would anyone be able to help on how i can get the film counter to reset to zero,,plus on the meter,anyway on how to sort it out,,looking at it if i'm right, would it be a carbon ring resistor in there??? can these be cleaned?? or is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks.
Mark.

Screwdriver
Tinkerer
Username: Screwdriver

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

My first post to this group.

Sounds like your film counter has bits of light seal in it.
There will be a hole in the seal just underneath the film advance lever which accepts a 'spigot' (for want of a better term) on the camera back which goes into this hole, this 'spigot' engages the mechanism to count up, the reset is spring loaded and automatic, which should reset to zero when you open the back. To clean the film counter you would have to remove the top plate - not easy without special tools - but you could try blasting air from a rocket bellows or air canister into the hole for the reset. This will only move the 'bits' around which might end up in an even more critical place!

The first job is to remove all the old light seals and replace with new ones to stop the problem re-occurring. While your at it replace the mirror damper too.

The meter is only mechanically connected to the camera - there is no carbon ring resistor in there. It's possible - even likely - that some of the corrosion you found has affected the Hi - Off - Low switch contacts, you can clean these by CAREFULLY dragging a piece of thin card soaked in "Servisol" or other switch cleaner through them. Having said that my meters are pretty lively too.

Hope this is helpful Chris

Markw
Tinkerer
Username: Markw

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Thanks Screwdriver.

I've had the mechanism off that fits on top of the film advance lever,thats all ok. Took the top plate off to give that a clean and to see if that was all ok under there,,looks all ok.
I done this when i first got the camera to free the film counter,,which works now,,also replaced all the light seals too using the jon goodman kit.

When it all went back together, the film counter would not reset to zero,,only to five.
If you look down on the "spigot" that that advance lever fits onto, it has two flat sides which should point forward,,but on this one they point to one side, so when the film advance lever slots on top, number five on the counter points to the front.

The lever under the door seal,seems ok, springs in and out ok,when you push it in with the tip of a screwdriver.

I will have to take the top cover off again.
Would there be a way of adjusting the mechanism,so that the two flat sides point forwards??

For the meter i'll open up it again,,and give the contacts a clean,as you said.

Hope the above makes sense!!
mark.

Gilthomas
Tinkerer
Username: Gilthomas

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember having the same problem a number of years ago with a Pentax H3v. Here is what I remember, see if this helps at all.

I think the film counter disk has a piece of metal on the bottom that acts as a "stop" for the film counter. The film counter disk has a square hole that fits on a square shaft. I hope I have my directions correct..... Put the counter on the shaft 90 degrees further clockwise then it is now. Now tilt the counter disk slightly as you turn the counter disk counter clockwise. This will wind the return spring slightly. Don't force anything. Tilt the disk as your go to slide past the "stop" on the bottom of the disk.
With luck, you will have tension on the spring and it will return the film counter to hit the stop.

See if this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration