Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Electro Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Regomodo
Tinkerer
Username: Regomodo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure this has been posted before but i cannot for the life of me find it after searching.

My Electro 35 (i guess 1st edition as there is no badge like "GSN") is stuck at only Bulb or 1/500 shutter speeds when using it in auto.

I have heard about the pad of death but the button doesn't "clunk".

The next thing i checked was the capacitor, i replaced the 2.7 Tantalum cap with a 2.2 but that made no difference.

The battery is brand new and the "battery test" function is fine.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replacing the pad is imperative; a quick search in the archives will produce the desired results. This link will probably also be of help: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/electro/page_01.htm

Regomodo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers werner

I have found that site but as my camera didnt make the noise i thought the fault didnt lie there.

The camera is already stripped right down so i'll have a bash at it later

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 81

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Regomondo, the pad can be reached from the front when only the camera's top cap has been removed. This is to say replacing the pad does not necessarily require knocking the camera down (once you know where it sits all you need is the pad, a needle, fine tweezers and some appropriate glue).
Yashica Guy recommends a different procedure:
http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/repair.html#nine

How come that your camera has a fresh battery? (Mercury cells have been discontinued for quite some time now), W.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regomodo --

If your camera does not make a clunk, that means the pad is bad. There should be a healthy clunk as you wind the lever.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donnie ist right.
The absence of the clunk means that the pad has to be exchanged. You should do that at first but I fear there might be more problems with your camera. You should also check the reliability of the battery contacts and the solder junctions near the battery chamber.

Regomodo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers guys.

I have taken the lens section off the body with no difficulties before so i'll get at the pad that way.

The camera, apart from normal mechanical noises, makes a slight "tap" midway through winding

I checked the contacts and voltages coming out from the battery compartment first when the camera started to play up.

Once i have sorted it out i'll get back. I have to releather my Walzflex too.

Regomodo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, werner. Just noticed your question. A usual replacement is a 6v alkaline (cant remember the code number for it). Its smaller but you have to fill out the battery compartment so it'll fit.

Regomodo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, eventually got round to sorting out the pad. It's been at the bottom of my priorities (dissertation).

Still doesn't work. I had to desolder the Cap i put in because i got the polarity wrong. The shutter issue is exactly as it was.

About the pad, there wasn't one to speak of when i went to replace it. Used a bit of electronics board (that brown stuff with lots of holes - i forget its name) as it's aprrox 1.5mm thick.

God knows what is wrong with this camera. I suppose that'll teach me for impulse buying

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although there are cameras that cannot be ressurected to full function, I have always found that stubborn systematic analysis of all parts (mechanical and electronic) at least helps to circle in and often detect all the faults one can think of. I had one Y el 35 G that resisted all repair attempts. After a while I got a second similar specimen and managed to amalgamate the two into one perfect camera: an early body plus a black lens including the corresponding electronic unit. Yashica Guy was sceptical about the blend, but it works. Of course, I do not say that cameras from all batches go together.
Quite recently I completed a half rotten Minolta 80's SLR with spares from a derelict body some twenty years older. The "new" camera has lost some features of the newer model, so what? It did that just for the fun of it. Compiling cameras is easier than putting 1000-pieces puzzles together, and a lot cheaper.

So why give up impulse buing?

This hobby of ours simultaneously offers ultimate torture AND pleasure , for a few bucks only. What else on earth is as frustrating AND fascinating at the same time and can be had for close to nothing?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration