Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck light meter in Fujica ST605 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Stuck light meter in Fujica ST605 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evand
Tinkerer
Username: Evand

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, folks. I'm new here and looking for a hand with some film camera troubles.
I recently bought a used Fujica ST605 ( http://www.butkus.org/chinon/fujica/fujica_st605n/fujica_st605n-splash.htm ). I made a point of checking all of the mechanical parts when I picked it up for purchase, but because there were no batteries in it at the time, I didn't have the opportunity to check the internal light meter. I bought and inserted the two necessary SR44 batteries the next day.

Much to my dismay, pin in the light meter appears to be stuck in the down position. I'm convinced the batteries are connected and working properly because engaging the meter with the stop-down button actually propels the needle down. This happens regardless of which shutter speed I choose, how wide or narrow my aperture is, what my film speed is set at and how much light I provide.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be? Can this be fixed without costly professional repairs or should I try to get a refund from the seller? This might prove difficult because the sale was negotiated over Craigslist. . .

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The silicon photodiodes could be open; it is rare for a photodiode to fail unless it has seen higher than rated voltage or very high temperatures.

Are you very sure the batteries are not installed the wrong way (correct is with the +ve side towards the battery cover)? That would show the same symptom of sending the needle to the lowest end.

Anirban

Evand
Tinkerer
Username: Evand

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice, Anirban. Unfortunately, I checked the battery position. It's correct and the problem persists. Any other ideas?

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That means not enough current is flowing through the silicon photodiode to the amplifier input. The amplifier, battery connection and the galvanometer seem to be working fine.

There could be any number of reasons: a wire from the photodiode to the amp. circuit board is bad or the amp. board itself is corroded. Unfortunately, it is impossible to guess correctly unless you open the top of the camera and prod inside.

BTW, the ST605 and 705 are nice little cameras. Only if they had a sturdier film advance! And also a centre-weighted (as opposed to averaged) light meter would have been great.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration