Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chrome camera body treatment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Chrome camera body treatment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian_bastin

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cleaning a grubby 1933 chrome Leica II with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips (cotton buds) I noticed some fine scratches showing up - then realized I was making them. There must be some very abrasive particles around the shutter release. This revolves and works very smoothly - so I don't want to get grit down into it.

Two questions:

How to remove grit from crevices - some moving - without dis-assembly. (have considdered sticky artists' putty-rubber)

Can surface scratches be made less visible in semi-bright chrome-on-brass body. If chrome can be soft - this is. It's one of the first chrome Leicas. Camera's in nice shape mechanically and cosmetically.

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did restore a very smashed Leica IIIA to perfect working order (P-Net Leica & Rangefinder Forum) so I'm not just some idiot who buys a leica and screws it up, - well, apart from being a complete idiot who buys a Leica and screws it up, that is.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 118

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always clean out crevices with pieces of thin card or even paper, if separation line is very narrow, wooden cocktail or kebab sticks are also useful.

The problem of the scratches in the chrome are more problematic. The simple answer is that nothing can be done to remove them. However I have used the 3M nylon abrasive/polishing pads to rework some semi-bright/matt chrome barrels and body plates. Basically these pads work like a 'scratch-brush' and produce a brushed matt finish. the results depend on the depth and condition of the plating and how deep the scratches are.

Personally I would leave well alone, as you may end up making it look even worse.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I have to clean crevices, I use bluetack. its a putty that it's used to blue posters to the wall.

To clean slits, I take a post-it and insert the sticky part on the slit. Fold it in two and you clean both parts of the slit at the same time.

For the chrome scratchs, the only good solution is rechroming $$$$$

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for those ideas, Glenn and Pablo. The scratces are not that bad or that many but just a bit sickenning to think I did them. 'Live and learn' - which is why I came here. A scratch, no matter how shallow, must has a sharp top edge - and if it could be softened without disturbing the surrounding surface it would improve it. I guess it will mellow with time, also. Will try time, first. a couple more show at other angles.

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caption disappeared. It said there are a couple more that show at other angles. Those on the dial are not my responsibility.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration