Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet RF Close Focus Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canonet RF Close Focus Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kostya
Tinkerer
Username: Kostya

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I'm working on Canonet GIII QL17 camera. So far, I cleaned the stuck lens shutter which is accurate now, and replaced light seals. I also adjusted vertical and horizontal alignment of rangefinder at infinity with a ground glass on the film rails. However, the close focus is still a problem here. When I set close focus precisely using a ground glass, the images in the viewfinder will not align. What is the procedure for close focus adjustment on this camera?

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should not adjust the rangefinder using ground glass on the film rails. This is a two stage process. First you have to adjust the focus of the camera using ground glass on the film plane. If it is ok for infinity it must be ok for close distances too.

When the focus is ok the next step is to adjust the rangefinder. You have to focus a distant object (next to infinity) and the adjust the rangefinder until the two images of the distant object match. There is an adjustment screw below the top cap of the Canonet.

Spyderman
Tinkerer
Username: Spyderman

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Reiner is right: first adjust the lens focusing at infinity. There are 2 screws that hold the lens barel together with the focusing lever - you can see them when you remove the bottom cover.
Then adjust the collimation - so that the lens focusses at infinity when the scale says infinity. Rick Oleson has a good article about this - it's called "bringing infinity indoors" and it's here: http://members.tripod.com/rick_oleson/index-123.html

Only after you do this, calibrate rangefinder.

I'm sure the close focusing will be OK when you adjust the infinity this way.

Kostya
Tinkerer
Username: Kostya

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reiner, Spyderman, thanks a lot! I noticed that after setting the lens to infinity (with a ground glass) the focusing mark and infinity symbol on the camera body do not align. I'll try to re-do it according to what you suggested. I guess, more questions to follow.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration