Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fungus on color slides (transparencie... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Fungus on color slides (transparencies) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi friends. Your help is appreciated.

This issue is not a camera issue but an issue of film photography. Recently I reviewed some of my oldest color slides. They date from 1980. Out of 200 slides I discovered 10 which started to develop fungus. In some cases these are just small feathery spots which grow from the side of a slide. To my surprise these are mostly on the film side and not on the emulsion side. A few are on the emulsion side. In one case - fortunately an unimportant image - the fungus grows in the middle of the slide's emulsion side and it has allready attacked half of the side.

Does anybody know how to clean the slides without destroying them? My idea is to use vinegar or ammonium to clean the film side. The emulsion side is more delicate however. Any hints are wellcome.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only way to solve the problem if card mounts are used, is to remove the mount and remount after cleaning. I believe there is a specific cleaning solution available to the film preservation industry. However I have found that a quick rinse in acid stop-bath and then a good rinse, solves the problem.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Reiner, the oldest slides I own are from the mid fifties, not taken by myself, of course. Several years ago I detected what was then unidentifiable dark spots on them. Later I learned that they had caught fungus. I took all those slides out of their solid glass frames and used glassless frames instead after a treatment similar to what Glenn suggests. They haven't changed since then and I hope they won't in the time to come, W.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to try PEC-12 and PEC-PADS from Photographic Solutions.

http://www.photosol.com/products.htm

Alex

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration