Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Foggy coating on vintage camera, good... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Foggy coating on vintage camera, good or bad? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Freelance508
Tinkerer
Username: Freelance508

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have 2 folding cameras in wonderful condition and plan to use them this spring, but i noticed a few issues! the coating one one is cloudy blueish and potty. is this going to effect my photos? should i remove it?
my second folding camera has the smallest of small chip in front of lens, you can hardly see it! will this effect my photos?

if anyone has the answer i would be thankful. thank you

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian_bastin

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shine a small light into the lens and look at the other end. If there is any fogging it will be very noticeable. Spots and bubbles will have little or no effect, nor will the chip in the other lens, unless it catches a lot of light and throws it into the lens - or if it is smack in the centre where it will take up a larger percentage of the surface when stopped down. Fogging will have more effect on performance - with some lenses the slightest bit degrades contrast - on others it seems to have much less effect; probably depending on the number of elements it has. The bluish, spottiness sounds like anti-reflective coating with grease on it. Clean it, starting with a soft brush, then with some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, lighter-fuel or vodka on a well washed cotton hanky - working very gently and away from the centre, turning the cloth often. There is likely to be abrasive dirt lodged around the periphery.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do agree with Adrian.

Another hint: Put some black shoe polish on the chip and it would not catch any light.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration