Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak 35RF Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Kodak 35RF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking at a really nice Kodak 35RF for $5.00 just to play with. How does one trip the shutter? I know that the film winding resets the shutter, and without film, the film advance gears can be moved by hand, but I can't figure out how to trip the shutter. Is there a lever, a button, or what? Harlee

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 48

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you push down the lever on the lens barrel at 11 o'clock (looking from the front) which is partially shielded.

Tinkerer
Username: Top

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie has it nailed.

Schmod
Tinkerer
Username: Schmod

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of these as well.

When I press down the shutter, I can hear the gears doing *something* inside the camera, but the shutter does not open.

Any suggestions?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 172

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it could be that the shutter blades are stuck together. haven't seen this on a kodak 35 but have on many leaf shutters.

if this is the cause, here's how to verify it: remove the lens from one end or the other, cock and release the shutter, and poke at the blades with a sewing needle so as to lift them slightly apart. if the shutter suddenly springs to life and fires, you've found the problem.

the best way to clean blades is to remove them, but this can be a major pain in the Levi's, so you can try cleaning them with a cotton swab soaked in lighter fluid. To hold the blades slightly open for cleaning, find a smooth metal cylinder of 5-6mm diameter, open the shutter on B, place the cylinder on the center of the remaining lens element from the inside, and let the shutter close on it. after cleaning the blades, just pull the cylinder out and the shutter will close.

i use a small (2-5 gram) brass balance weight for the cylinder...

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you google "daniel mitchell" his website has a section on camera repairs including a detailed description of a Kodak 35RF teardown with photos.

Schmod
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips. That teardown guide is excellent.

Once I removed the shutter cocking cover, I discovered to my delight that the shutter works beautifuly when cocked and fired manually by pulling the red tab back!

I didn't bother to continue the teardown, as I didn't have the proper tools to remove the inner lens.

The obvious conclusion to make from this is that there's something wrong with the film winding and cocking mechanism. However, everything *looks* in order. Does some sort of magic occur once I load film that makes these mechanisms begin to work?

Tinkerer
Username: Top

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is wound by the film as it passes over the sprockets. I'll bet that it will work fine when loaded.

Schmod
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

doh!

right after posting that, I came to the same conclusion. *facedesk*

Now that that's all said and done, It's just occured to me that I have no idea of how far to screw the outer lens back on...

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a Kodak 35 RF in need of shutter blade cleaning. I tried to spin the rear lens section off with a rubber stopper. The retainer spins in both directions (!) but no matter what, the lens cell will not unscrew. Is there a secret to this? The website mentioned does not really address removal of the rear lens cell / section.

Schmod
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump -- any ideas on making sure I screw the lens on the right number of turns?

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put Scotch Magic tape across where the film goes. See if the lens focuses on it at infinity when the focus scale is at infinity. If not, try another start of the focusing threads.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll vouch for that tip - used it for the first time myself yesterday. I won't describe it too much as the lens I was testing is a different setup, but you'll need a hand lens to get a good idea of how sharp the focus actually is. Much easier than wasting a film, though!

Adrian

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 196

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's just a matter of picking the right thread start, a piece of tape across the film plane is plenty. If you lose your reference though and have to reset the focus from scratch, here's a way to do it:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration