Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya C2: Worn paint and rub marks Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Mamiya C2: Worn paint and rub marks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glimpy
Tinkerer
Username: Glimpy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a Mamiya C2 that is functionally in great shape. However, the leatherette was flaking off to such a great extent I have removed it with the purpose of recovering it. Here's the problem:

On the back, there are ridges from which the paint has worn off. This wear is confined to the ridges and not to the rest of the back. I'm thinking that I might carefully remove the rest of the paint off these ridges using some sort of abrasive/mechanical method so that the shiny metal is exposed as intentional trim. I figure this is much safer than trying to repaint the back. However, I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. Is the back brass, plated with a chrome-like finish, then painted? Or might it be aluminum? I'd hate to be removing the paint and work down to brass. Then repainting would be the only option I can see.

The other issue is the supporting frame for the bellows. Looks like polished aluminum to me, but here I could be wrong, as well. There are rub marks here and there and I would like to polish these out, but I'm not sure what to use; I don't want to make things worse.

Any information, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I'm not wrong, this camera has an anodized finish. If you try to polish an anodized surface, you will rub the whole finish out.

Put new leatherette and leave the rest as is.
You might try to put some black paint on the ridges, but it might look worst than it actually is.

It's 45 years old! Let her show her age!

Glimpy
Tinkerer
Username: Glimpy

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, you are probably right. Leave well enough alone. Fresh leatherette will still make it look much better. I was looking at the new Griptac material at cameraleather.com, which might be a nice, inexpensive covering.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration