Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE1 Program Problems... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » AE1 Program Problems... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lsuphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Lsuphoto

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently enrolled in a photog class at the local university. Therefore, I purchased a Ae1 used from a reputable online dealer. Upon delievery (with new battery) I immediately realized that the crank will not advance nor will the shutter release. I am a bitter novice with these relics but not to photog. (Owner 20D). What is my best bet in this situation? Any suggestions as to whats wrong?

Ps The dealer will accept a return as they gar. mech. operation regardless of cosmetic apperance.

Thanks for your time.

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 26

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you absolutely sure that the battery is good?

It's also a good idea to take a pencil eraser and scrub the contacts inside the battery compartment as well as on the top and bottom of the battery.

Also make sure the battery is oriented correctly.

Since the AE-1 requires a good battery to operate, a dead battery or dirty contacts are often a source of trouble.

If this doesn't fix things, it's time to send it back to the dealer.

P.S. If the reputable online dealer from whom you purchased happens to be at Marietta Blvd. in Atlanta, Georgia, be forewarned that it will likely take them 2-3 weeks to log your return, check things out, and send you a new one. It may take even longer if they elect to fix your current camera. If you need one immediately, they'll send it to you, but you'll have to buy both and then just wait for them to refund you the money for the first one.

Lsuphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a brand new battery along with the camera. However I'll try to clean the contacts with an eraser.

ps. I do get a clear read out of the led info stats in the viewfinder.

Lsuphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I think I have diagnosed the problem. I believe it is an electrical problem with the shutter release magnet. I have opened the bottom case just to peak around and manually released the shutter and thereafter the crank works fine. With a "loaded" shutter an attempt to release via the shutter button is to no avail.

Looks like B&H will be getting their Ae1 P back.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration