Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT MC-II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta SRT MC-II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a great SRT MC-II with a Minoltta F1.2 lens and I really enjoy shooting it. It's big, heavy and the shutter makes that great Minolta "clunk" sound when the shutter is tripped. Recently, I've noticed that the meter is overexposing almost 2.5 F stops. I've changed batteries but that doesn't seem to make any difference. BTW, I am using a Zinc Air 1.4V battery which previously worked just fine. Can someone tell me where the internal meter adjustment is. Some cameras have them under the bottom plate while other under the top cover. I'm afraid the SRT series has it under the top cover. Is there a good web site describing how to remove the top and adjust the meter pots? On the Canon FTbs it's quite simple, but unfortunately I don't have an FTb. Thanks, Harlee

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 153

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SRT101 has 2 pots under the baseplate at the left end - one toward the back for the battery check and one toward the front for the meter - but i think there's only about 1 stop of adjustment in it. 2.5 stops sounds like you may have a bad cell or a wire off somewhere, but maybe you can get close enough to bias your ISO setting and live with it for a while...

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information Rick. Tomorrow, I'll remove the baseplate and see what I can do with it. Probably I'll have Garry's Camera service it one of these days. My first "good" slr was a SRT 101 which I purchased in 1970 while living in Okinawa. It served me faithfully for many years. I've probably had one in my possession ever since. Harlee

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a crazy thought: most of the mercury battery meters I've seen underexpose with too high a voltage. With that in mind, since it is currently overexposing, what would happen if you were to substitute a modern alkaline or silver battery for the zinc-air? Perhaps it would come closer.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 155

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do that with one of my old canons, actually .... i don't think it's good for 2 stops, but it's probably worth a try.

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might be the glue holding the cells to to the prism has dried out & discolored. Top has to come off to service.

Harlee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today, I removed the bottom plate, turned the meter pot very slightly clockwise and it went down one F stop. Turned the pot again just slightly and now it coincides with my Sekonic meter as well as my Minolta X-700 and my tried and true Zenit 12XP, which is right on. I'll run a roll through it to check the resuilts. By the way, I use the 1.4v zinc battery with good results. Thanks fellas for the excellent and helpful input. Harlee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration