Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leaf Shutter CLA/Repairers in Glasgow? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Leaf Shutter CLA/Repairers in Glasgow? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Strange_acoustics
Tinkerer
Username: Strange_acoustics

Post Number: 1

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
My first post after a long hiatus, so hello to one and all.

I've just acquired a well-used Synchro-Compur-P shutter fitted with a Schneider Xenar 1:4.7/135mm lens. At speeds of 1/25 and slower, the shutter will stick open and require gentle pressure on the cocking lever to close again.

I guess the shutter is in need of a good CLA; does anyone know of reputable repair outfits in Glasgow, Scotland, or anywhere in the Central Belt?

The shutter serial number is 8672609; can I infer the date from this number?

Many thanks,
Matt

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 124

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contact Ffordes in Beauly, Inverness - 01463 783850,
ask for Steve and explain your problem. Ffordes must have a good repair contact, as they will repair any faulty second-hand items. However there is a good dealer in Glasgow that does repairs, I forget the name - Cleggs, Greggs? They advertise in the AP, if you ring the AP they will give you the name of the company and contact details.

Glenn.

York_praktica_fan
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Glasgow dealer which Glenn remembers is Quiggs of Glasgow

www.quiggs.co.uk

I have never dealt with them so I cannot recommend them

Edthened
Tinkerer
Username: Edthened

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The company below is as far as I know is the only repairer in Glasgow. The last time I phoned him to do a CLA on an old folder he said "if it still works then it doesn't need fixed" but you can contact him anyway.

http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/

Strange_acoustics
Tinkerer
Username: Strange_acoustics

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for the various advice. I went for Quiggs in the end; should be ready by the end of the week.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration