Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My leather needs a liposuction!! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » My leather needs a liposuction!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got some pieces of very nice leather that I want to use to cover a camera. The only problem is that the leather is three times thicker than the original leather used on the camera.

How can I make it thiner?

I know that the best option is to buy THINER leather, but I want to use the leather that I have because there is a long history involved with it.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using rubber cement, glue the leather face down on a block of smooth wood (I use 1/2"x3" birch from Home Depot). Glue wood sandpaper, maybe 180 grit, to another block and sand carefully away. I buy leather wallets at the flea market for the leather and have to do this. You might cut the leather to fit first, and just taper the edges until it looks good. That way the main part stays thick, and might be more comfortable to hold.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 127

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To do the job properly you use a paring knife. Any book binding supply house will sell you one, however they are easily made from a 9 inch length of industrial hacksaw blade. Grind off teeth and then grind a 4 inch length at one end down to a point. Sharpen the sloping edge by grinding a wide bevel (at least half an inch) on each side.

You then just gently cut away the excess thickness from the back of the piece of leather, just hold the leather over a narrow (4 inch) piece of wood, clamped to the bench. I regularly use this method to thin large pieces of leather, when binding books.

As an alternative it is possible to use a small spokeshave. Use the type sold by model shops, that use a razor blade as the cutter.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

I supose that then you have to unglue the Leather. It's not damaged from the glue?

How do you do it?

Thanks to Glenn and Peter.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is easy to remove (REAL!) rubber cement. You peel the leather off of the wood, then rub the leather with your fingertips and the dried rubber cement just rolls right off. Don't use it on the rough side, though!

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I'll try.

Thanks Petercat

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration