Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica IV F Exposure Counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Praktica IV F Exposure Counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Proofblue
Tinkerer
Username: Proofblue

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all, I hope someone on this excellent forum will be able to help a first poster!
Praktica IV F: Counts up fine until 8, then when wound on stays at 8. If it's manually ratcheted round to 9 it then counts up fine until the end of the film. Any ideas for getting it to not stick at 8?
Thanks for any replies,
Josh

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 130

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your first course of action should be to remove the counter disc and clean the actual mechanism. Sounds like the ratchet tooth, corresponding to frame 8, is either blocked with dirt or damaged. The actuating lever is 'skidding' over the indent, instead of dropping in and advancing/pushing the disc forward.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right, I shall try as soon as I find a screwdriver! That does sound very probable. I doubt it could be damaged as it was serviced and recalibrated, cleaned etc. a couple of months ago, and hasn't been banged, but one never knows....I'll get back when I've taken a dekko.
Josh

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right, I attacked it with a screwdriver and there is nothing wrong with any of the ratchet teeth. The little arm that pushes them is worn as one would expect, but nothing drastic and it would surely affect the other teeth too if it was that. However, the bad part is that having put the disc back on it now doesn't count up AT ALL, and the whole outer disc rotates with the inner ratcheted one, but doesn't click round to a higher number when winding is finished. Whoops! Any further suggestions? :-D

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had it serviced that recently, take it back and complain.

If you get no joy from service tech, come back here. I will have to dig out an old IV F and have a look inside. Off hand; I cannot say what you have done on reassembly, to stop it counting all together.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give Herts Camera and Lens services a call and see what they can say. Thank you Glenn!
Josh

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Decided to not aggravate it further and have sent it off...let's see what they can do! Thanks for all the help guys.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They fixed it free of charge, but thanks anyway chaps!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration