Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SR-T viewfinder glass foam Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta SR-T viewfinder glass foam « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 87

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, restoring an SR-T has come to a halt: I need to know what material instead of the deteriorated foam I can use around the viewfinder frame underneath the prism. It has to be black, rather soft and thin. What I usually use as replacement material (thin black felt, cotton strings) for light baffles has turned out to be unsuitabe, W.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edmund Scientific has a flocked black paper with a self adhesive backing. The surface is like velvet, and it's quite a bit thinner than felt. here's a link: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3060068&bhcd2=1170285782

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 90

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that inspiration, Rick, I found similar material in my parts box: the velvet lining of an old telephoto lens case, it is black, thin and, surprise, surprise, it has a paper backing, that is to say it can be cut with an exacto knife to measure!
The worst thing I discovered about replacing rotten foam strips inside SR-Ts is one most people will never notice it is there; it sits above the mirror bumper, usually preventing a metallic noise when the mirror bumper goes up. The bumper is a piece of sheet metal held in place by a relatively weak V-shaped spring and with an easily replaceable foam strip where the mirror touches it. The other one mentioned prevents the bumper to hit its frame too hard. If it is deteriorated a metallic sound can be heard, that is why old SR-Ts are so loud! In other cases it causes the bumper to stick. Replacing requires the removal of the meter/prism block which is quite demanding. Even with this out of the way it is not easy to glue a new noise absorber where it belongs.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have taken several steps forward by now in restoring banged-up SR-Ts. At present I have one on my desk with badly corroded CdS cells, maybe because of caustic glue used on mounting them when new. My question now is if anyone before me has ever found corrosion around the meter/prism block, my general impression is that the newer an SR-T (or its standard lens, btw) is the shxttier it is inside, the most recent specimen being real crap. Can anyone confirm this? W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration