Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-7, Minolta XE-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta XD-7, Minolta XE-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 89

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, my two defective mechanical Minolta SLRs have turned out to be repairable, but what about Minolta's classic electronic shutter SLRs? Can average tinkerers fix a broken XD-7 or XE-1? Are there any typical flaws in these models?
Are repair manuals available on the net/ for free?
Thanks for responding, W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 93

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody, I know that my inquiry about those Minoltas is not a yes/no question but I just can't believe there is nobody out there who has ever worked on these cameras. All I am asking for is useful hints, I do not expect you to let me share all your secret expert knowledge, of course, W.

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 51

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are one of my favorite cameras. Them and their Leica counterparts. The XE/R3 series are easier to work on than the XD/R4's. And yes, they do have common failures...like the 1/1000 shutter speed resistor becoming desoldered on the XE/R3. As for manuals on the net...only the XD exists. And it is the SPT version...I think.

As for the tardiness of my response, today is the first day in a week for me to have time enough to read the forum.

Henry

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are both very nice cameras. My preference for a user camera would be the XD. Although it is a bit more difficult to work on (as Henry says) because it is mechanically more complex, it is a very smooth operator, just like the nearly identical Leica R4. But it has a better reputation for reliability than it's Leica twin.

The XD has few typical problems- mainly dirt or "staining" as Minolta called it in the variable resistors - aperature, shutter speed, film speed. Clean those and most XD's will work well. I think I have posted some of the less common XD problems here in the past. Perhaps a search of the archives will find them. If not, just ask and I will try to help. If I remember correctly (and I don't always do so any more) there were SPT articles on the XE and XD series. I am sure there was an extensive series of articles on the XD-11 in Camera Craftsman. I may still have them.

I have been away in a warmer place the past week so this is my first opportunity to reply.

Mike

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 94

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your input, I think I will have to try a junker to find out in practice whether I am capable of making it work again, W.

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I would like to know where exactly are the variable resistors in the XD, for namely aperture, shutter speed and film speed. I have done a search and could not locate the correct previous mail of yours.
I plan to work on an XD which only works in manual mode, but not in the other two auto modes. The light meter does not work. Do you think cleaning the VR will do the trick? Thanks!

Aaron

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron-

Cleaning the Vr's might do the trick- but might not. But it would be a good place to start. The locations are: shutter speed under the shutter speed dial, film speed under the film speed dial, aperature under the lens mount ring. Search "Minolta XD" and you will find instructions for removing the top which will get you onto the first two, plus a lot more stuff as the XD has been covered here frequently.

Mike

Aaron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike.

Imagemaker
Tinkerer
Username: Imagemaker

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on my Minolta XE-1 caps (i.e. it snaps without opening up) at 1/1000 sec speed. I read Henry's post of Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:08 pm, stating that the XE cameras have the common problem of the 1/1000 sec resistor to become unsoldered.

I wonder if any of you know and can tell me where the exact location of this resistor is in relation to other interior parts.

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

imagemaker

Imagemaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to isolate and fix the problem with the help of a schematic diagram, which was sent to me by a friend. The culprit was R12, which is a VR. By cleaning it and increasing the resistance ever so slightly (just a hairs's breadth past the setting where the shutter would cap), the shutter capping at 1/1000 sec was remedied. I am not sure if the 1/1000 sec shutter speed is accurate at this setting of the VR, but at least this way the second curtain has enough delay to prevent the capping. Good enough for jazz (i.e. black and white).

Cheers!
Imagemaker

Aaron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
I intend to clean the VR below the lens mount, but I fear that the spring loaded aperture control ring will give me trouble. Are there any tips you can give on this? Thanks!

Aaron

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron-

Just go slowly and keep track of the spring!

There are several liquids which will clean the resistor substrate and the "fingers" on the wiper but I would recommend naptha- lighter fluid. Check back if you need help.

Mike

Aaron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Thank you. I have cleaned the VR under the lens mount. I have removed the four screws holding the lens mount, and then the brass lens mount. The spring holding the aperture control ring is about 4 cm long. It is hidden at the bottm of the camera. One end is fastened to the plastic aperture control ring, and the other end to a point inside the camera. There is actually no fear of the spring jumping out. ;-)

Now that I have cleaned all the three VRs but the disorder is still there. Let me elaborate the troubles: its manual shutter speeds works perfectly. The light meter doesn't work: only the downward arrow lights when the shutter release is pressed. In both A and S modes its shutter releases at about 1/4 sec. Can you suggest what may have caused the disorder? Thanks!

Aaron

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron-

Does the light meter work on manual?

If not you may have a dead short somewhere in the metering system. Unlike most electronic cameras, the XD's will default to underrange in a dead short situation.

Aaron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Light metering is impossible on manual. The downward arrow lights when shutter release is pressed. Is there a way to check if there is a dead short? Incidentally, where is the location of the light metering circuit? Thanks!

Aaron

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron-

The light metering circuit is all over the top and front of the camera. Even pulling the mirror box will not give you access to all of it.

At this point, I think that you have three choices:

1. Declare victory and use the camera with an external light meter or use the "sunny sixteen" rule.

2. Get the schematic and repair manual and all of the tools you might need and be prepared (if necessary) to tear the camera completely apart and write it all off as a learning experience if you fail.

3. Give it a Viking Funeral.

Sorry to be so harsh but that is the best advice I can give you at this point.

Aaron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike, I'll choose the first one. ;-)

Imagemaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the newer Vivitar 283 flash units (made in China and Korea) with a hot shoe trigger voltage of 8.8 Volts safe for use with the XD-11 and the XE-1?

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Imagemaker

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration