Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 aperture problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canonet QL17 aperture problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zackw
Tinkerer
Username: Zackw

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I recently picked up a Canonet QL17 with the 45mm lens. The apperture appears to be stuck shut. I removed the front lens and cleaned the blades but the problem remains. I was thinking maybe there was some other mechanical problem, any ideas? Also, theres no battery cover but I should be able to shoot manually even without a battery, right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine seems to stay at the previously set aperture until I cock the shutter at which time it moves to the current setting. I think this is normal.

Zackw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm talking this thing doesnt move at all.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 91

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The QL 17 G-III can be used like a camera wihout a meter at all, but not in the Auto mode. Changing the aperture should make the blades move no matter whether the shutter is cocked or not. If not the blades are still dirty, I guess (you didn't clean them from behind, did you?).

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 92

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, the shutter has to be cocked, of course, W.

Zackw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned from the front. Also, its not a G-III, just a regular QL17.

Kismuth
Tinkerer
Username: Kismuth

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I just fixed a similar problem with the canonet 19. When you open up the lense from the back turn the apeture ring and notice the to close the blades a part of the cam pushes against a pin/screw that pushes against another pin which has a spring pushing against it (the spring is around another pin/screw and pushing against a different one). Apparently when that spring wears out it doesn't push the pins back when the cam is moved to the open apetures. Change the spring and it should work just fine.
But now for my question: I fixed said spring and put lense back as I found but now the shutter doesn't trigger or release. What did I miss?

Kismuth
Tinkerer
Username: Kismuth

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyway, I figured out what I missed and if interested it's in canonet reassembly issue.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration