Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Broken sproket holes Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Broken sproket holes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dawkins
Tinkerer
Username: Dawkins

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About 5 years ago I took some photographs of my mother. When I attempted to rewind the film, I could hear the sproket holes ripping. I stopped using the camera. Since then my mother has passed away and I want to get that film developed. Can anyone tell me how I can save those memories?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming the film is still un-rewound within the camera. First I would make one more attempt to rewind, making sure that the rewind button or whatever controls rewind is fully engaged. You might just get lucky.

IF that doesn't work, I think your best bet is to take the camera, unopened, to a lab, preferably the best pro lab you can find in your area, and explain the situation. They will likely be able to open it in a darkroom and process the film.

If you cannot find any way for someone else to do this, you could also try it yourself, but it must be done in TOTAL darkness. By that, I mean, a sealed closet at night, or a darkroom set up for the purpose, or a photo changing bag. Even a little light leak can spoil it.

Depending on the camera, it is sometimes possible (in the dark of course) to open the camera, and pull the film off of the winding reel, whereupon it will be loose. It's usually the sprocket that engages the film, but the wind reel has a slip clutch, so if you can get the film free of the sprocket, you will be able to pull it off the winding reel. It might take some doing to get it off, but once it is off, you can slowly and carefully wind it back into the cassette by hand.

I'd take it to a lab first, though, if that's an option.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 169

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What camera is it?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration