Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tool for unscrewing retaining ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Tool for unscrewing retaining ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure there's been threads on this before, but without knowing what they are called I don't know how to search for it. Can one actually buy tools for unscrewing the slotted retaining ring that secures the rear element of many lenses/shutters (eg on a Werra, Moskva, etc)? Or do most people make do with something to hand?

I'd like to remove the Prontor-SV shutter from an otherwise very nice Zeiss-Ikon Contina - works, but none of the shutter speeds seem to run at faster than about 1/5th of a second - to see if I can free it up. There are smears on the blades, which suggest to me that lube from somewhere has migrated. Anyway, I lack a proper tool for that retaining ring - what do other people use?

Adrian
(by the way, I have downloaded the guide to dismantling Prontors - another brownie point for CCRF!)

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are adjustable spanner wrenches usually available on Ebay. Also I think some people use what appears to be flat ended putty knives. If you click on the "articles" tab above you will find an illustrated discussion of tools.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a very easy way to fabricate a tool to unscrew this kind of rings.

You can find the tool that I made here: http://www.rusted.free.fr/ikonzeisscontina.html

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 175

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I usually make them from long-nose pliers by grinding the points to the shape I need. Another idea that you can find in the Canonet repair article on this site is to make one from a paint scraper. I do have one 'store bought' spanner from www.Micro-Tools.com

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is great gentlemen, thank you very much! Lots of possibilities, and plenty to read and digest.

Like that tool a lot, Pablo. You do not let litle things (like the camera being a wreck) get in your way, do you?

Adrian

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The worst it looks, the better it is!

I like to fumble in the "cameras for scrap" boxes and buy some for one buck. I have still not found one camera that I've been unable to repair. Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes a year, but ALL my repaired cameras DO work properly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration