Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacing Beamspliter in RF thickness? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Replacing Beamspliter in RF thickness? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lex
Tinkerer
Username: Lex

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking to replace the beamsplitter in my Minolta al-s. I found some replacement beamsplitter glass but it is 1.5-.6 mm thick whereas the original is 1mm. can a rangefinder be re-calibrated to handle a thicker beamsplitter? thanks! alex

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 176

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It shouldn't be a major problem... it will throw off the lateral position of the image slightly, but this is adjustable.

Lex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, i am going to try a piece of dichroic glass.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 177

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's of interest, Edmund Scientific does sell 1mm beamsplitter stock. Here is a link to it: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3043359&bhcd2=1171148855

Lex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rick, thanks for the link.

i was able to pick up a nice piece of dichroic that is 1.5 mm. its orange and reflects blue. total cost $.15 cost and time being a factor in the decision.

as far as lateral compensation, should the plane (facing towards your eye) of the new piece be placed so it is in the same place as the original? or do you average it because the piece is thicker? can the rangefinder mirror (that moves) be adjusted to compensate? i guess i am trying to figure out which variable (part) in the system to adjust.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 178

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you're going from 1.0 to 1.5mm, so orient the mirror the same way as the old one - the more the change in position, the more adjustment you have to do.

I don't have experience with that particular model, but there will be an adjustment for lateral image position. This is most commonly done at the moving mirror position, but sometimes there is a lens between the 2 mirrors that is shifted fore and aft, and sometimes it's done in the linkage between the moving mirror and the lens. If you're into it far enough to replace the beamsplitter, you should be able to see the adjustment if it's either of the first two options.

Go ahead and install the new beamsplitter first, then adjust the rangefinder to give you correct indication at infinity (check lens focus at the film plane, unless you know for sure that its infinity position is correct)

Lex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, Looks like the dichroic glass will not work. both side are reflective so ya get a double. i found some 1mm stock at the surplus shed for $1.75 but the thing is that its 70% trans and 30%. I am not sure that is enough to work.

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3729.html

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 180

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That stuff will work. The 50/50 stock that I link to on my site gives you a brighter secondary RF image, so I like it better, but I'm sure the 70/30 will do a decent job. I think some people prefer it. I expect that when set at a 45 degree angle it reflects more, so it may come out closer to 50/50 in a rangefinder application.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration