Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aluminium preset M42 CZJ Flektogon 35... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Aluminium preset M42 CZJ Flektogon 35mm/f2.8 Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Proofblue
Tinkerer
Username: Proofblue

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi chaps,
I have just got one of these and was wondering if anyone knew how to get inside it to make sure all the gunk is got rid of. I can't see any screws at all and am flummoxed. Also, does anyone know what filters it takes, as there's no screw thread...if they're push on would they be 52mm?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 179

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only CZJ preset that I have sketches for is the 80/2.8 Tessar - but construction might be similar. Email me at [email protected] for a copy if you'd like one.

I think these took 49mm filters. Yours has no screw thread? That seems odd. Some of the CZJ lenses had double ID rings, one over the other to change the name as it went from one country to another, and that might have used up all of the thread... but I wouldn't expect the top ring to have the real name in that case.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Rick!
It looks almost exactly like this one: http://www.praktica-collector.de/Flektogon_2.8_35.htm except the ring where the screw thread is isn't long enough to have a thread - it sticks out about 1/2 mm above the one where "Flektogon" etc. is written. It also differs from the one shown in that the distance marks are in metres only. I thought it seemed odd!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 134

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect that the front ID ring is part unscrewed or has been doubled. Does the lens focus correctly? If it does not; then perhaps the front element is not located properly, thus stopping the ID ring screwing up to correct stop. It is also possible that the filter threads have been removed, because they were damaged. I have a couple of CZJ lenses from this period, that had obviously been dropped. In trying to remove the dents, the front rings had split. I just turned the damaged part of the rings off.

Examples of CZJ lenses marked only in meters are not uncommon - Eastern Bloc sales only I guess.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It focusses correctly, the aperture ring and preset move fine, as does the focus ring (maybe a little stiff). The top is the same black as the rest of the areas and does not look like it has been turned off and repainted, and there simply isn't enough of the front ring sticking out to have threads on. It doesn't look like it's been knocked inside either as the orange marker that shows which aperture is selected is the right height above the aperture selector ring. the lens looks almost mint, with only a few light scratches and no dents. Apparently Flektogons are easy to disassemble and put back together so as I have some schematics from Rick Oleson and I was going to take it apart anyway to give it an overhaul I'll try those and see whether there's anything amiss inside. It is very annoying that I might have to get a whole selection of 51mm push on filters, especially since no-one I've spoken to in the camera shops near me has heard of them! Here's a picture of the top: Flektogon Top

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone knew what tools I should be using to get the rings on the bottom unscrewed - they have a notch each side but as there are about 3 of them I'm not sure which one to go for or how to go about it... I managed to push one round a bit with a screwdriver, but this struck me as not hugely effective and easily able to hit the rear lens element...so I stopped! :-)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 182

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy a spanner from micro-tools.com to fit the notches in the opposite sides of the rings. Don't try it with a screwdriver blade, if it slips and hits the glass it will seem like false economy. I make spanners also from long-nose pliers, grinding (and sometimes bending) the points to suit the problem. These are quicker to use but require a little more caution than a regular spanner. There is a good chance, though, that you will still need to grind the points even on a commercially made spanner to get a proper fit in the rings, so a bench grinder is a good thing to have around the house (explain this to your wife carefully).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 183

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the ring that you want to unscrew in the back is the largest diameter one... this should release the entire lens assembly from the barrel, after which the other rings (if you need to unscrew them) will be easier to reach.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 184

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, one more afterthought:

To unscrew the FRONT (engraved) ring, I use either a rubber crutch tip, or a piece of plastic pipe to which I have attached some double-sided foam rubber adhesive tape to one end. The adhesive gives you a good grip without damaging the ring... just press it firmly against the face of the ID ring and twist counterclockwise. I'm quite sure that the ring will unscrew out from the filter threads that you cannot see, and after that you may be able to figure out why it is not recessed further back to allow you to attach a filter.

Proofblue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Righty ho! All good stuff. I'll get back to you chaps when I've got a micro-tools spanner/front ring remover. I think I might go and try the latter now...
Thanks Rick!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration