Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Source for tiny camera/lens springs,... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Source for tiny camera/lens springs, detent balls,screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertboyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without buying a parts lens or camera for just one screw or spring would anyone know where I could find a source for these items either new or used? Also does anyone have a sizing chart (and material type such as "stainless steel" or "brass" or whatever the screw is made of)for the most commonely used screws/fasteners in Japaneese cameras? I'll bet lots of folks could use information about where to find tiny generic springs, detent balls and screws. Did the original camera makers make their own fasteners or did they get them form a common supplier and would that supplier still be around? Thanks for hearing me-hope to hear from someone who can help!

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can find a good source of screws in an optician. Mine has a box FULL of tiny screws, bolts, washers... and if I choose a day with no customers, he lets me have a look and find a good one.

Other source is all the junk you throw to the garbage. There is no appliance, old computer or toy that goes to the garbage without being carefully dismantled and all the pieces that might be reused carefully stored. An old printer is a gold mine for springs and a computer internal drive has dozens of minuscule screws.

By the way, what do you need?

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The detent balls you can buy from SKF, they sell the tiny little balls that go into tiny ballbearings separate. Just look for a SKF representative in the yellowpages.

Robertboyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your replies.
I am missing a small detent spring from a Vivitar 28mm lens, a mirror return spring for a Pentax K1000 and various assortment of small screws, the size and composition of I do not know.
Good idea about the detent ball. Caused me to think I may have some old (non working-like my photo stuff) appliances or power tools around the house with bearings that I might tear apart for their balls.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make a drawing of the springs you are missing and if I have something similar, I send it to you.

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micro-Tools. They are on the Internet, and have just about everything, icluding small ball bearings in all kinds of metric sizes.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Robertboyet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may have partly answered my own question. I found a goldmine for small fasteners, screws, clips, springs, tools of all kinds, small ball bearings to use for detent balls, dampening sheets (could probably be used for light seals and mirror dampers) and many more things for working on small stuff and cameras. Go to Small Parts, Inc at http://www.smallparts.com/ and download their catalog. You will be glad you did. I think they have most of what Micro-Tools has and maybe more. At least some different stuff. GET THE CATALOG!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration