Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

KW Pilot mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » KW Pilot mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slamarca
Tinkerer
Username: Slamarca

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I bought a 40s KW Pilot 6x6 reflex camera and when it arrived home I found the mirror was almost completely de-silverized. This camera has never been a performer even in its days but I would like to put it in shape for fun. I read that re-silver the mirror isn't a viable approach, so I was wondering if I could replace the mirror with some other type of reflective surface, say a thin blade of some polished metal or the like. Has someone any advice to give?
Bye
Sergio La Marca
Italy

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 186

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A glass mirror will be better. If you can find an old Polaroid camera of the type with a motor inside that ejects the picture out the front, these have a suitable mirror material inside. I don't know if you find these in Italy or not... in the United States they are all over, very cheap.

Slamarca
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks, Rick, I've got your TehNotes CD!! Can you specify the model of the Polaroid you're referring to? Do you think that overall the restoration would be worth the time?
Regards
Sergio

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 187

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for any Polaroid "One Step" model, or anything that accepts "600" film. Many of these sell around here for a dollar or two.

Yes, I think it would be worth it. Not in money terms, possibly, but to save a camera that cannot be replaced.

Slamarca
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick, thanks for the info! I'll manage to open the camera and, doh!, inside it *HAS* a plate of some sort of metal instead of a real mirror, like the ones you can find in a box camera (in my Agfa SynchroBox, for example). So I could try to polish that plate and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Bye

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 189

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had no idea! It should polish up pretty well, certainly easier than cutting a new mirror if it works!

I use "Simichrome" metal polish. I think it's made in Germany but I don't know what it is called over there. It's sold in small tubes for polishing silverware, and in large cans for polishing molds and machine parts... There is another brand called Maas which is also good (very similar), but I think that was an American brand.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What size mirror do you need? I still have a couple sheets of first surface mirror and can cut you any size you want. E-mail me?

Slamarca
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa!! Apologies to you two guys for having read syour kind replies so late!! Rick, I was wrong again! When I tried to remove the 'metallic' plate I discovered it actually WAS a glass mirror, and managed to break it too (grrrr!!!!). I can only say it was so full of oxidation that looked like metal...
Paul, if you still can, I'll mail you the exact dimension of the mirror. It actually is a trapezoid and very thin! Thank you, anyway!!
Greetings

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration