Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"New" Canonet 28 stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » "New" Canonet 28 stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slove
Tinkerer
Username: Slove

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am just beginning my old camera tinkering "career" and I chose the "new" Canonet 28 (1971 model) for my first project, since they are so cheap and it wouldn't be a huge loss if I break it for good.

I was able to fix electrical contacts in the battery compartment and the meter appears to work fine now, but the shutter is also stuck. The lens rear element does not look anything like the one of the more expensive Canonets shown on this site: it has only one ring, which appears to be very tight. Does anyone know if it has left or right-handed thread? I have been unable to move it to either direction...

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never disssembled one but before I started I would try two things. Will the shutter work if you turn it off the automatic (A) setting? And will it work with a cable release? If it works in either case you may have an electrical problem. I have had several 28's and think in general they are more reliable than the 17's (simpler anyway) and take better pictures than the 17's.

Slove
Tinkerer
Username: Slove

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does not work in manual mode either. I hear the regular "click" when I press the shutter release and the shutter blades move a little bit, but they do not open properly. The same thing happens in automatic setting as well.

The camera has been unused for at least 15 years, but it probably was working before that, since there was still a battery (dead of course) inside when I got it. That lead me to believe that it is the classic "stuck shutter" problem. I will try to open the rear element ring today, this time with better tools.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration