Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vintage russian cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Vintage russian cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kismuth
Tinkerer
Username: Kismuth

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've been curious about vintage russian cameras. 'Leica copies' in particular. Can anyone educate me on the quality of workmanship and what camera's to look for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 136

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only the original FED and Zorki 1 models can be classed as true Leica copies. All the later models are just based on the Leica principle, ie 39mm lens thread, cloth focal plane shutter and built in rangefinder. Workmanship is - well typically Russian - somewhat crude. There are some awful examples around, especially on eBay. Having said that, my two best examples of the Zorki 1 type came from Russian sellers on eBay.

Mechanically the cameras are simple to work on and repair. I have six Zorki 1, which I have rebuilt, two have been modified to accept modern 20mm and 28mm, M42 optics. They all get a lot of use and produce good negatives.

I prefer the Zorki to the FED because the body appears to be more substantial, however mechanically there is hardly any difference. I am only interested in the very first models. ie Leica look alikes. Many people use the later models with great success, but you should note that there are an awful lot of 'new' later types on the market. Many of these are very poorly built and did not work well, even straight off the production line.

So it depends on what you are looking for. A nice Zorki 1 (third type) and a couple of good lenses will give you usable kit, that you can carry in your pocket. If you want a camera that is easier to load, with better viewfinder and strap lugs - go for the later models. The later types are still easy to work on and will give good results when everything is set up properly.

Watch out for expensive, so called special or commemorative models - most are modern creations on old original bodies.

I am sure that other people will have different ideas/recommendations on the subject.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration