Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM - help! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon EM - help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rfrost123
Tinkerer
Username: Rfrost123

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody. I am new to this site but so far have been very impressed with the amount of knowledge displayed in the reapir articles and the forums. Hopefully I may be able to contribute in some small way, but for the moment I am in need of some help. I recently bought a Nikon em from eBay, but now I notice that the shutter speed does not change in auto, even though the indicated speed in the viewfinder changes. The shutter speed I presume is 1000th of a sec, but I have not tested, and yes the batteries have been replaced. If anyone could provide any assistance I would be really grateful.

Regards, Rob

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought - which may be way out - but have you fired the shutter more than three times? In auto mode, the first three frames or so after you've opened and closed the back will be at the same speed regardless of the exposure, because it's how the camera winds on the leader strip to get the frame counter to position '1'.

Rfrost123
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I have advanced the frame counter past one and kept the back closed but the shutter speed appears to remain the same

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should check the switch near the frame counter that detects the > frame 1 position of the film advance. I once had an EM in which this switch was making poor contact. If this switch does not work properly, the EM will keep firing at 1/90th, because it thinks it still hasn't reached frame 1. You can clean the switch (gently) with solvent on a bit of tissue.

Rfrost123
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I'll try that

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration