Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing middle lens element - Novar ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Removing middle lens element - Novar Anastigmat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm currently attempting to liven up the shutter of a Zeiss-Ikon Contina 524/24.

The shutter is a Prontor SVS, and so far the oft-publicised on CCRF online guide to these shutters has served me very well. However, it assumes that the lens cells are removed at the start. In my case I've removed the front and rear without major hassle, but I'm not sure about the middle one. It has two holes in its mount for a removal tool, but my home-made tool was weaker than the lens and broke!

So, do I need to remove this middle element?

I plan to clean with lighter fluid or acetone (I work in a lab, so obtaining acetone without added moisturisers and the like is easy), and as far as I can see I can get to the shutter from behind without too much trouble.

The shutter has oil visible on the blades, so I plan to clean these first and reassemble far enough to check whether or not that has done the trick. Hopefully it will, but if not I don't want to move oil from on part of the shutter to the lens. Has anyone else cleaned a Prontor with the lens in place? If so, I'd love to hear how it went!

I'd be grateful for any assistance you can offer!

Many thanks,

Adrian

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is how I dismantled an SVS shutter. It might help you.

http://www.rusted.free.fr/voigtlandervitobl.html

This is how I repaired a IKON ZEISS contina, but with a different shutter. I do not know if it is useful.

http://www.rusted.free.fr/ikonzeisscontina.html

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo, I guess I should have looked there first, shouldn't I?

One minor correction - a stray S crept in, it's actually an SV.

It looks as though, in your Contina, you left the middle element in so I will work round the one in mine, I think. I made a tool like yours and it worked - once I had got the hang of setting up the two G-clamps without dropping one when I adjust the other! - nicely on the shutter retaining ring and, now I didn't need to work through the film gate, like a dream on the rear element. However the only screwdrivers I had that fitted the pinholes on the middle element broke before the friction gave way! Ah well, we learn through our mistakes.

Thanks Pablo, much appreciated!

Adrian

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remember acetone may remove some paint and/or metal finishes!!!

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Idiot mistake moment...

At some point the shutter seems to have been oiled and both shutter and aperture blades were gummed together. I attempted to remove the back of the shutter, not realising that the insides actually lift out of the back, which forms a sort of cup. In the process, I disturbed the aperture blades, and now cannot work out how to get them all back into either of the two sliding parts that activate them.

Has anyone got a picture or, once again, a bright idea?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I have blades that would not stay in place, antually I oil them, "stick" them in place, close the "sliding parts" and then put the whole thing in tricloroethylene to remove the oil. Repeat the soaking till oil has dissapeard.

I used this technique on this camera: http://www.rusted.free.fr/kodakfoldingpocket1amodeld.html

I'ts not bright, its even a bit crude technique, but it works.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I'd known that before, Pablo, the oil was the reason I tried to take them out!

I've also got a moribund Baldinette with an SV shutter, so I may take that apart and use as a pattern to make sure I get them the right way round. Then I will probably try to fix that thing's frame spacing mechanism... Aaaaarrgh!

Adrian

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember which Zeiss I had with a lens inbetween the front n back cells. After pondering it long n hard I noticed it had a C spring holding it in. I removed the spring ring nad it came right out. Before you take it out though put a small dot on one side using a magic marker so you'll know how it has to go back in.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hurrah!

All back in one piece - aperture blades and all - and nearly ready to test with a film. The slow shutter speeds are still a bit sluggish but given its age I think that is acceptable. However 1/300 is now far more like what it should be, and not closer to 1/10 as it was!

If it is OK with film in, I shall have a go at the rangefinder (uncoupled so not a disaster if it doesn't work properly), smarten it up a little, and re-stitch the top of the case. Fingers crossed...

Many thanks to all of you. This may be my first proper succesful repair job.

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration