Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak retina reflex s, film advance l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Kodak retina reflex s, film advance lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ozgur
Tinkerer
Username: Ozgur

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,

I got myself a nice retina reflex s, but it's not working. There might be several issues here.
Currently:
- the mirror is up, the flap that's covering the film is also up [actually I do not know whether those two are supposed to move together]
- blades are closed/shut.
- I cannot advance the film advance lever

I removed the top cover and the pentaprism [these are easy to remove, and install back].

My questions are:
1- when I try to advance the film what's supposed to happen? [the rack is supposed to travel back and cock the shutter, but it does not]
2- how do I cock and release the shutter manually?
3- how do I test the shutter leaves/blades?

I ordered the repair manual online, and I will have it soon, but I'll appreciate few tips about kodak retina reflexes - shutters - etc.

I've read Chris (NZ kodak retina reflex guy), but I still want to play with this camera.

Thank you in advance!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 195

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter (or actually the geartrain between the wind lever and the shutter) is probably stuck due to dirt and lack of lubrication.

When you release the shutter, the shutter closes (it was open for viewing originally), then the mirror (and the rear light baffle) goes up, then the shutter releases. Actually, as I recall, this shutter has no release device in it: instead it is held in the cocked position by a system in the body which blocks the winding gear from turning. The body release lets the gear spin, upon which the shutter fires.... unless the winding gears are dirty and sticky, in which case the shutter does NOT fire. If that happens, you can't wind on, the mirror can't come back down, etc......

The gear train involves a rack and pinion arrangement in front of the prism under the top cover. This is where the hangup usually occurs. To get to it you remove the top cover, lift out the prism, clean and lubricate the gears and see if it doesn't come to life. DO NOT open the shutter unless you have to, it is not fun and it's not usually where the problem is.

I have some sketches from the Retina Reflex III, which I think would be similar to the S; email me at [email protected] for a copy

The repair manual, as is so often the case, can be less helpful than one might hope

Thomas_mann
Tinkerer
Username: Thomas_mann

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ozgur
have you checked whether the exposure counter is at the figure "1"?
This is probably too obvious, but it does catch a few people still.
The Retina Reflex S locks up when the exposure counter indicates the last frame. Push down the film release and stroke the counter advance knob to clear the lock.
regards
TM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration