Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sekonic L6 - Are old lightmeters trus... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Sekonic L6 - Are old lightmeters trustworthy? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evand
Tinkerer
Username: Evand

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may not be the appropriate forum for this, but here goes:

I picked up an old Sekonic L6 meter for $30 Canadian. I'm wondering if I should rely on an old meter such as this or if its usefulness has probably degraded over the years. Especially for low light situations using fast film (ie Ilford Delta 3200), should I trust its readings for good exposures?

Thanks.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They can be accurate, but all of the sekonic L8 s I have ever come across measured all over the place. Check against a modern meter. I think the L 6 only has film speed setting up to 800 asa, so for really low light it would not be practical. Those little meters were only made for average light conditions.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My luck with old meters has varied from perfect to wildly inaccurate, so do check it. Remember that an old hand held meter probably averages over a very large area, so it may give a different reading outdoors from that of a through-lens meter. If you can set it up to read a blank wall or the like, you can get a pretty good comparison.

For low light, you may be out of luck. But if the light is readable but the film speed is out of range, you can just compensate. For 3200 film, you can set it at 800 and just go two stops faster than the meter says.

Markamra
Tinkerer
Username: Markamra

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the availabilty get it checked against a digital, yes I swore. I have a digital compact camera which I always take on a serious shoot because the light meter is very accurate. Especially useful in low light situations because it's easy to see.

Alanstarkie2001
Tinkerer
Username: Alanstarkie2001

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a point on Weston lightmeters. In my previous camera repairer days, I used to fix many Weston light meters - they are things of beauty but not very sensitive. Another problem is that the round cadmium cell degrades badly with age. I think cells are still available from Megatron - see http://www.westonmaster.com/

The one to avoid at all costs (IMHO) is the later model (Megatron I think) with the really thick needle and relatively crude galvo movement that is really sensitive to the angle you take the readings. To me the thin-needled Euromaster was the nicest they ever made.

I remember doing a night shot of the London skyline from Primrose Hill. I Tried taking a reading with my Weston - not a chance but an old 1960's Gossen meter did the job but needle was jumping around at one-second intervals. Then I noticed about a mile away - a flashing balisha beacon!

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 75

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WRT to the weston meters, I've found that both the Master IV and V are sensitive to the angle they're held at, which I find rather annoying, even though it would most likely become habitual to hold them in a consistent way. The battery-less meter I find more convenient is the Gossen Pilot. The Pilot II even has a little hidden adjustment screw for calibration (in addition to the ever-present zero adjust).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration