Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 frame counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon F3 frame counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sito
Tinkerer
Username: Sito

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good evening!

I have a problem with my F3 and was hoping somebody here could give me some advice.

The frame counter on my F3 is not working. It is on '40' and does not change. It should reset to 0 when the camera back is opened. There is a small pin on the right inside the camera that triggers the process. I think this pin is spring-loaded. It is pressed while the cam is closed. When it's opened the spring presumably pushes it out and resets the counter.

In the case of my F3 the pin does not come out when the back is opened and thus the counter does not get reset.

Has anybody experienced the same problem and could give me some advice?

Cheers

Lars

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pin has a strong spring behind it. ( I just checked one ). If its not coming back out when you open the back its likely that debris or corrosion has contaminated the hole for the pin.

You might try a drop of lighter fluid at the pin to see if it might free it up, but it is more likely that the top will need to be removed to effect repairs

Sito
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Krp...I tink I have come to the conclusion that at trip ot the repair shop is unavoidable...sigh...

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before going to a camera repair shop, make sure that the old light seal had not gone bad and become sticky and preventing the pin from poppng out.Use a srtaight pin or something like that to poke around the area of the pin and see if you can lift it. You may only need to do some cleaning out of an old sticky seal and replace it. It's worth a try.

Sito
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Daivd. Yes, I already tried that, no movement at all.

It is probably not recommendable to open the camera top myself...what do you guys think?

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top removal isn't all that complicated, but there are a couple of pieces that are a bit tricky to remove. ( and replace)

The collar that holds the power switch is a very thin ring with two slots. Nikon had a special tool for this.

The other is the multi-exposure lever. That small screw head can be trouble without a proper tool.

You'll probably be better off to leave this one to a professional.

Kevin

Sito
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that's what I thought. I downloaded the service manual and it looks veeery complicated...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration