Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM focussing screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon FM focussing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rfrost123
Tinkerer
Username: Rfrost123

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone
I am planning to buy a Nikon fm, but if possible I would like to replace the standard focussing screen with the brighter K2 screen. I know that the FM does not offically have accomodate interchangeable screens, but I was wondering if anyone know of a way for me to get round this.

Many thanks, Rob

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't done it, but I think you have to pull the top cover and remove the prism to reach the screen, and then you're still left with the problem of finding a K2 screen and making it fit.

If the brighter screen is that important to you, life would be much easier with an FM2.

Rfrost123
Tinkerer
Username: Rfrost123

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice - i'll think i'll stick with the standard screen!

regards,
Rob

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should spend a bit more for the FM2. This model takes all the latest high-brightness screens designed for the FM3a, including the dazzling B3.

Even if you disassemble the FM, you can't substitute a FM2 type screen, because the FM screen has a recess for the meter display that the FM2 screen lacks. It won't fit properly.

Ks_lim1103
Tinkerer
Username: Ks_lim1103

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
I own a Nikon FM,but the mirror remain closed upward and the shutter remain open after taking picture,and when I turn the "film-advance lever" the mirror still remains closed and shutter is closed only when the "film-advance lever" is pulled,when release it open. Can this be repair? Please help..

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>This model takes all the latest high-brightness screens designed for the FM3a, including the dazzling B3.

Hi Haig - you might not remember, but with your help a few years ago, I modified one of my FG bodies to take standard, interchangeable screens. You're not wrong about the B3 screen being dazzling; I think it's better even than the venerable F4. I'm still using that body, by the way. I frequently choose it over my F100 for a day of easy shooting. What a joy it is to use a camera like that!

Happy shooting!

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Filmguy,

I put the B3 in on of my FGs, an EM, and my FE. As long as your eyesight is good, nothing in an SLR beats this viewfinder image. Another advantage of the B3 is that it is easy to clean, because there are no focusing aid recesses to trap dirt. All praise to Nikon for making this superb upgrade component available.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration