Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME cocking problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Pentax ME cocking problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Uniqua97
Tinkerer
Username: Uniqua97

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a pentax ME, and I need to advance lever 5-6 times to get shutter cocked. Once I get the camera cocked everything workfine.

how can I fix this issue?

Regards,

Fritz
Tinkerer
Username: Fritz

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem you are describing with my ME Super. The problem appears to be on a pivot point on the side of the mirror box. I'm not a 100% sure what the substance is, but on my camera there was a sticky goo that was on this pivot that kept the mechanism from latching properly. I think it was decomposing rubber from a bump stop, but it could also just be old grease. Anyway, I had to remove the mirror box to get at this spot to clean it good. Once cleaned everything is working as good as new again. HTH

I'll try to post a pic if it helps. Green arrow pointed at the problem area on my camera.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/froesener/Camera/Camera006pointer.jpg

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Fritz,

Thanks for the reply. I will try that but is there any place to see the steps to remove the mirror box.

Is this an easy job or difficult?

how long did it take?

Regeards,

Fritz
Tinkerer
Username: Fritz

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a site with the service manual for your camera. http://www.robertstech.com/pentax.htm

To get to the mirror box there is not much that is not removed. ;) So I guess it would be classified as a difficult job. Although I didn't find it too bad to do. I'm not sure how long it took, because I worked on it in several sessions. I'm guessing 2 or 3 hours of careful work. I am no camera repair expert, I just wanted my camera to work again. I figured I didn't have anything to loose, since the camera was not working right anyway. But I actually found the job quite enjoyable.

If you are going to attempt this make sure you study everything very carefully before you start tearing into it. Lots of little screws and springs!

HTH

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration