Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 jammed and mirror locked up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon A-1 jammed and mirror locked up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Uniqua97
Tinkerer
Username: Uniqua97

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon A-1 and it is just jammed as mirror locked up. When you look at the curtain after opening back. It looks stopped in the middle.

What can I try to fix this issue?

Regards,

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have another canon ae-1 Program at the same condition.

how do I reset canon A series?

Jeans
Tinkerer
Username: Jeans

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem and I found the solution here. http://www.fixya.com/support/canon/digital_cameras

Let me know if it helped (please rank my post - thanks)

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply but nothing close comes up when I enter canon A1. What do I do wrong?

Jeans
Tinkerer
Username: Jeans

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry I was sure I saw your camera up there.

You can click on the free live support(on the right side of the screen), ask who ever is free for chat, Its a free service and they have pretty good experts.

Good luck,

Jean

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 221

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the A1 is not a digital camera.....

i have not heard of one stopping in mid-travel, or jamming in mid-wind, before. usually the obvious thing to do with an A series camera that quits is to try a new battery, and the second thing is to clean the surfaces of the release magnets (this one is generally better left to a repair shop if you're new at this sort of thing). but i don't think either of these issues would leave you with the curtain halfway across the frame........

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

I am quite experienced on this kind of stuff, I have been in the camera collecting for about 4 yrs. I I also have seen quite a few A1 and Ae-1 programs.

I should admit that I learned a lot from your web pages when I started, where finally I got your CD of repair notes.

I am quite comfortable with their top and bottom disassembly. Plus I am quite familiar with their common problems but this one is strange.

The camera seems like, it needs a reset but as far as I know for canons there no way to reset.(there is no such thing as OMs or Pentax's has to you will disengage and wind it and it resets)

Am I wrong, is there a way to reset them?

Regards,

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know the AE-1 had this problem. The shutter jammed in mid cycle was usually caused by debris in the shutter gears on the wind side on the camera.

The debris was most often the little nips of plastic that hold the black trim piece to the top cover under the wind lever. These would break off due to a bump or impact the the top and fall into the wrong place.

Since the AE-1 is on the same chassis as the A-1, the gears are the same. Since the gears are plastic, it wouldn't take much to cause them to jam, IE loose screw, film chips, etc

Kevin

Uniqua97
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should I approach from top or buttom. where is the mechanism you mention?

-b.

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The gears are in the top section, about even with the sprocket shaft, under the circuitry.

Removing the winding assembly will give you a better view since it is slightly to the right of the shutter gears. you might be able to locate the jam without going further than that

Take your time....

K

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration