Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35B shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Rollei 35B shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Filtran
Tinkerer
Username: Filtran

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just bought a well-used Rollei 35B (Singapore) in a junk shop. All working well except for one thing: the film advance lever has to be wound on TWICE before the shutter is cocked, and on the first stroke, the shutter actually fires at the end of the stroke. On the second stroke it primes the shutter correctly (which then fires correctly as required). Also, about 50% of the time the shutter leaves do not close properly leaving a pinhole at the centre.

Questions: 1) Does this camera usually require two strokes to advance the film and prime the shutter, and 2) Can this be fixed easily?

Thanks/Colin

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 41

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1.) No
2.) No, but it can be fixed

Filtran
Tinkerer
Username: Filtran

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner - any idea what is causing this 'double advance + exposure' problem - it will help me very much if I can take it to a repairer and describe the problem!

Colin

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar problem on my 35, which turned out to be a slightly worn part in the cocking mechanism. Local shop fixed it for something in the range of $60 with a cannibalized part. Mine fired the shutter and kept on going with every wind, only occasionally stopping without firing. I wouldn't worry too much about diagnosis. A good repairman should be able to home in on it without much description, just by trying it. You could get lucky and find it's something sticking, rather than worn.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Collin.

Sorry, that I did not come back to you earlier. Honestly, I never had a Rollei 35 B in my hands but I have repaired one Rollei 35 LED and many original Rollei 35 and many 35 S and SE. Some of these cameras had the same problem than yours.

Under the top cap you should find a big cog wheel attached to the wind lever. During winding this cog wheel drives a smaller cog wheel which drives the film transport and the shutter cocking mechanism. These two wheels have to be carefully synchronised. If this is not the case the shutter will not be cocked by one wind cycle and you have to wind a second time.

It is a bit tricky to get them synchronised. You have to try and retry and to observe the effect carefully until it works fine. I needed quite a while at my first attempt.

Good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration