Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

T-Mount stuck on classic lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » T-Mount stuck on classic lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired a 500mm f/5.6 Century Precision Tele-Athenar lens witha t-mount for SLRs. The mount that is currrently on it is probably a Nikon t-mount. Set screws came out neatly, but the t-mount to flange threads are on VERY solidly. I am hesitant to force it, obviously. Can someone give me suggestions. The only thing I can think of it a set of flexible wrap-around wrenches (which would force it) and Liquid Wrench (which tends to spead a lot once it gets going.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 105

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once found a similar adapter had been glued on with superglue, so before forcing it I would closely inspect threads for any traces of glue, then use solvent (acetone) or heat, W.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 204

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acetone is probably the best stuff if it's superglued - it will be slow going. If it's just jammed, try some Liquid Wrench on it.

Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Resolution: The mount was connected to a flange that was part of the lens. The flange unscrewed from the main body of the lens. At that point, I had nothing but mechanical parts totally separated from the optics and other mechanisms.

WD-40, soaked into the seam for two nights, did the trick. The two parts slid off with the help of rubber gloves.

I sent the lens flange and camera mounts to Century Precision, where they evaluated it as an old lens and a custom-made mount for Nikon-F. Definitely not the standard T-mount for later CP SLR lenses. Could they devise a K-mount? Of course, for over $400 in their machine shop. They figured I wouldn't want to do that.

The seller was very straight with me and is refunding the purchase price.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 123

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Polaski, quite often people ask questions and never say what the end of the story is, which I consider quite unsatisfactory.
Sometimes, however, members of the forum remember all those who were trying to find answers, as in this case.
Thank you for publicizing the solution to that problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration