Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exa early model Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Exa early model « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dreamer
Tinkerer
Username: Dreamer

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen:
Looking for any information on adjustment of early model Exa shutter. The shutter trips when the camera film advance is wound at speeds above 1/30 sec. On "B" and 1/30 shutter appears to work fine.
Thank you: Dreamer

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had one apart for a while, so I can't remember exactly how it works, but first check if the mirror is being caught correctly by its catch (right-hand side as you look in from the front) which is a circular piece, wedge shaped in profile, mounted on a spring strip. The mirror should go past the catch by about 0.5mm as you wind on before it drops back and is held there until the shutter release is pressed. If the mirror does pass the catch, but is not held, possibly the catch spring has been bent back.

Dreamer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Steve:
Thanks, but the mirror does not go past the catch 0.5mm the way you mention when the shutter is set to the higher speeds. At 1/30 and "B" it does.

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't think why it should be different on the fast speeds. Is the mechanism still in the shell? If so you'll need to take it out to see what is going on (not difficult on the Exa).

I've sent some instructions via the forum roughly translated from the German manual (using a dictionary!). If they come out garbled, send me your email address and I will send them as an attachment. You don't strictly need to take off the left top-plate, but it reduces the risk of damage to the enamel, and be careful with the screws in the film compartment which are brass, and easy to strip or damage.

If the mechanism hasn't been out before it may be quite stiff to remove.

Dreamer
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Steve:
I've noticed that the shutter "wedge" will catch the mirror if you wind the film knob rapidly. If you move the knob slowly the wedge does'nt catch the mirror at any shutter speed setting, even though it will occasionally work at the low speeds. I'm guessing that the mechanism that lowers the mirror/shutter assembly is not causing the assembly to travel far enough. I have'nt had a chance to remove the works from the shell yet. I've had other Exas opened up before and know that they're not too complex to work on. Where would I find the instructions on the forum?

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take off the wind knob and the right hand top-plate. Then try pushing the cocking lever forward (it's the lever just to the right of the viewfinder with a slot cut in the end), and see if it works reliably then. If it does then perhaps, as you suggest, the mechanism just isn't pushing the lever far enough, and maybe the fact it seemed to be working at the slow speeds is a red herring.

The official way of correcting things if the mirror doesn't catch is to bend the forked top of the lever, but first have a VERY good look around to see if there might be something else wrong in the wind mechanism which is limiting the movement. Only bend the lever as a last resort. If you do decide to try it, do it very little and be careful not to go too far. It is not soft metal, and could break if you overdo it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration