Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD focus ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus 35RD focus ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Duratorque
Tinkerer
Username: Duratorque

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can only move the focus ring between 1m to 3m. Between 1m to 3m it moves fine. I have tried heat with a hair dryer and lighter fluid. I think there must be an obstruction somewhere.

How do I remove the focus ring to clear it?

Duratorque
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update: I think I have broken it! I used too much force when I was exercising the focus ring. Now the ring move freely, but the lens does not focus at all. Any suggestion? I would like to get this camera working again.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 107

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Duratorque, is your username somehow allegorical?
This is what you should have read before applying too much force; it is a quotation from our moderator's article on the Oly 35RD:
"Do not remove the two tiny crosspoint screws in the focus ring. They are for the ring's limit stops. The focus ring slips off with the stop attached after the setscrews are loosened."
It appears to me that Henry's complete article is a must when working on this sort of camera. This link is all you need https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/oly35rdcleaning.html
With a bit of luck it is just the ring's fixing screws that you mangled, but even then you may be faced with a new problem, as you will probably have to readjust infinity adjustment (there is an article somewhere in the forum's remote areas, but I just do not know where, can others please help), but this link is also about how to do that http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html ), W.

Duratorque
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Wernerjb,

My username is just named after a Ford diesel engine used in the Transit van.

I have managed to removed the shutter speed ring and focus ring. The ring fixing screws are fine. I think there is something jaming the helicoil. It is still not able to move. How do I get to the helicoil to remove the obstruction?

Thanks

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 111

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On second thoughts, and especially if the stop on the side pointing to infinity is not definite, but rather "soft", I do not think that there is anything wrong with your camera's helicoil. If the brass ring (movable part of the helicoil, the other half is fastened to the front panel), had been (and still is!) out of focus, this may be the very reason for not being able to fully turn the focus ring according to the dial on it.
Please note that the ring carrying the dial is relative to the helicoil in any case!
Repairs on the helicoil usually require a complete knockdown of the camera, as you go in from behind, after removal of the front panel. If you do that be careful with the selftimer screw, it is left-handed, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration