Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 focus setting Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus Trip 35 focus setting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a cheap Olympus Trip 35 (1979 model) that needed a good clean up and a lens filter ring that was damaged. I had to remove the front lens by loosening the 3 grubscrews and after re-assembly I found I am unable to check that the focus setting is correct.

I would normally adjust the focus by opening the aperture to full, set the shutter to Bulb (B) and observe the image on a ground glass screen taped to the film guide rails. My problem is that the camera dose not have a "B" setting so I am unable to see through the lens. Is there a way to keep the shutter open?

If I screw the lens in all the way and set the distance scale to infinity (or mountain) will the lens then be set to sharpest focus?

A Google search brought up a lot of info on the Olly Trip 35 but nothing on repairs and settings. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kar
Tinkerer
Username: Kar

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Alford.I have taken the front element off a few "original" Trip 35 and yes I know where you are comming from. The most reliable way I have found to set the focus again is through a part dismantle.What you need to do is disengage the mechanism from inside so that in effect you create a Bulb setting. Take the two front leatherette off,unscrew the base plate and top plate (take care with the top as there is a wire connecting the body to the hot shoe). Then unscrew the two front metal plates that were under the leatherette. Unscrew the metal plate on which the lens is mounted. From here you should be able to trace how the shutter works, wind up and fire the shutter a few times. What you are looking for is a metal disk about 10mm in diameter and on this disk is a nipple set off centre over which sits a metal arm, the slot in this arm fits over the nipple. This is what trips and resets the shutter. Unscrew the screw on the arm and you will then be able to remove the arm, doing this frees up the blades on the shutter so they can be opened. Hold open the mechanism NOT the shutter blades with blue-tak! Put the lens board back on,open the film door,tape some ground glass or similar to the film gate,set the lens to infinity then using the front element ONLY focus at infinity on the ground glass(you need good eyesight or a hand lens or loupe)When you get the correct focus screw the 3 grubscrews carefully back tight. Put everything back together again.
There must be an easier way to fix the focus I am sure, I have tried measuring from another Trip 35 and screwing the lens all the way: but this is what works for me.
It may be easier to go buy another Tip.
Lets hope someone on the forum has an easier fix.
All the best.
KAR.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 57

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a procedure for getting the shutter to stay open while you adjust the focus. I will try to find it or maybe someone here has it handy. Screwing the lens in all the way won't work.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kar beat me to it but this doesn't seem to be the one I remember. I will keep trying.

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kar,
Many thanks for that detailed information, you have gone to a lot trouble to help me but I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

As you say it is easier to buy a Trip on e-bay but that is not my way. If I find an old camera that can be restored then I like to think that after I've fixed it, it will last another 30 years or so. It's too late now but I should have scribed a line on the lens surround before removing the 3 grubscrews.

Charlie,
Many thanks for your reply, it would be great if you could find me an easier way to open the shutter. In hope I shall remove the top and bottom plates again and see if there is a way to jam the shutter in the open position.

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I followed the advice from Kar and found it a lot easier than I thought it would be, so now I have the shutter fixed wide open and I'm ready to adjust the focus. All I need now is some infinity!

I found an easy way to jam the shutter open, first remove the top cover then insert a strip of thin card so as to jam the brass flywheel that is located underneath and to the left of the film wind-on wheel.

Thanks - A

Kar
Tinkerer
Username: Kar

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aford,(and sorry I called you Alford) I am very happy that you could follow my instructions, I got lost a couple of times myself as I was working from memory. I have a handy infinity device just at the back of the house, a church with a spire, it's infinity enough for my needs.

The strip of card tip looks looks like a good time saver, if I need to remove a lens element again I will use this to set the focus.

I am a great fan of the Trip 35, it takes great pictures in fact it was this camera that got me interested in photography again after some years absence.

As for orphan cameras, like you I just can't pass them by and if they need fixing well that makes it even more important that I give them a home.

Good luck with the infinity !- Kar.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration