Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Faint streaks on film from a Minolta ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Faint streaks on film from a Minolta SRT-201 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lonytynch
Tinkerer
Username: Lonytynch

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just paid literally $140 to get a Minolta SRT-201 back into perfect working order for a photography class I'm taking. I could have bought one off ebay for cheaper than that, but alas I just wanted to fix the one I already had. I got it back today and shot two rolls worth of film just to see how it would come out. When I developed it, the same problem was still happening: I had no pictures exposed on the negatives, just faint streaks and the information above and below these streaks to indicate the film was processed properly. What could be the problem here? Obviously I need to take it back and get a refund because it wasn't in the proper working order they implied it would be, but what do you guys think could be the problem? Is this something fixable?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 206

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the camera back, remove the lens and hold the camera up to a light; fire the shutter at all speeds while looking through it. You should see the light clearly and uniformly at all speeds (though it will look dimmer at the fastest speeds). From your description you should see practically nothing through the shutter. If you do see light through it, repeat the process (at the faster speeds) using your TV screen as the light source; look at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html to see how things should look. If it looks right here, your shutter is good.

Next put the lens back on, set it to f/16 and repeat the process (not using the TV this time though) at a middle speed like 1/60 or 1/125. You should see an f/16-size spot of light (about 1/8" in diameter); it should not change in size as you look at it through the shutter (you can also try slower speeds to confirm that it holds a steady size).

If things still look okay, about the only remaining cause is the film failing to go through the camera. The most common cause of this is the leader slipping off of the takeup spool after loading. Did you feel the wind lever refuse to advance at the end of each of your 2 rolls, or did you just shoot the number of frames you had on the roll and then stop and rewind? If the latter, it's possible that the film never passed through the camera. It can happen, I've done it .....

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 108

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all it takes to be able to repair your favourite SLRs is info by people like Rick, some appropriate tools and the right attitude. I never thought it was possible for ordinary mortals to be better than those expert "experts" in the repair business, but it definitely is. What you experienced with "professional" repair people is not unusual. I can't help thinking that nowadays one has the the choice only between awfully expensive very sophisticated arrogant repairers on the one hand and absolutely ignorant phoney repair shops on the other, there is nothing else on the market in my reach.
Try this link http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/srt-operation.htm and find out for yourself if you are courageous to go deeper into the matter, W.

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick's answer is spot on. A bit of testing may prove invaluable

Certainly at 140$, a warranty came with the repairs? If so, any attempts to make repairs on your own would void that.

BTW: I've never charged more than 65$ for any SRT repair, and I thought that was a bit high for the value of the camera.

Kevin

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 207

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By all means, make the repairer make this good - you paid PLENTY for it. But it's best, if possible, to have as good an idea as possible of exactly what's wrong with it before you go back.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 109

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wasn't opting for a DIY repair in this case, of course not, as asking for refund first is the most reasonable thing to do.
But at present I would never give a camera away for repair because what I experienced in similar cases is that you are either literally exploited of half of your money for a repair that does not deserve that name or you are told that a camera is beyond repair or a repair is no longer possible for lack of parts etc., respectively.
So I was just trying to explain what one can do if everything else fails or cannot be opted for, W.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 208

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it comes to that, I'll be happy to donate some sketches on how to disassemble it....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration