Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat 124G Meter Unresponsive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Mat 124G Meter Unresponsive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doublecappuccino
Tinkerer
Username: Doublecappuccino

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Yashica 124G with an unresponsive meter and was wondering how to properly get to it, first of all, and then how to revive it. I did try a new battery, but no go.

This 124G also seems to lack shutter button "spring". I removed the front panel and noticed that there is a release button inside, but not a separate shaft. Or is the shaft tucked inside the button? In any case, how do I get some spring back into the shutter release?

Doublecappuccino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose I should add here that I also tried getting rid of all oxidation in the battery chamber (there was a minor amount both atop and underneath the battery contact), to no avail.

For now, I'm metering using a handheld meter rather than the unresponsive built-in one and I shot a roll today and it seemed to go fine, although the shutter button still doesn't give any tactile feedback (eg there's only the faintest "click") when depressed.

Stop, Hama time?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 212

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter is reached from the front by removing the lens panel or from above by removing the hood, or a combination of the two - depending on exactly what you need to reach. access is pretty easy....

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest you check the continuity of the hot lead from the battery compartment to its soldered terminal at the meter. It should zero ohms. I have two 124G models in my collection and both suffered non-working meters. In both cases the problem was black wire corrosion of the aforementioned wire. That is to say the copper multicores had decayed to non-conductive black powder oxide.
In both cases the black wire corrosion commenced at the battery compartment and extended sufficiently up the wire as to preclude insulation stripping and retinning the good exposed copper cores. A complete new wire is the only answer.
This is quite common with Mercury Cell cameras which are 20 or 30 yearsold - and is the first thing to investigate.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've also seen it happen spontaneously in wires that didn't even go to the battery. Just PVC wire insulation breaking down, giving off acid that ate the wire inside.

Doublecappuccino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thank you Ethostecch and John_shriver, that sounds like a possible or even probable culprit. I greatly appreciate the info.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration