Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Focus disassembly / reassembly on an ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Focus disassembly / reassembly on an old Retina « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 43

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can somebody explain me how to disassemble the focussing unit of an old Retina? I mean how to screw the whole lens and shutter unit out of the focussing thread.

I have two old Retinas, a 117 and a 126 which were taken apart before I got them and I have difficulties to re-assemble them. Further question is how to reset the infinity focus.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 214

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a very good explanation of this on the Web somewhere. Not sure if it will cover your models.

Ah, here it is: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/retinafocusmechanism.html

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately it covers a much younger version which is different from the older prewar ones. I did not find anything covering the earlier models on the web though I did an extensive search.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the inside, take out the rear cell. Then unscrew the retaining ring which will remove teh shutter. Once that is out, you will have access to the helical threads.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, what you describe is the standard way for other bellows cameras not for the early Retinas. These old ladys do not have any retaining ring. The attached picture shows a view on the rear side of the lens of a 117. The tube with the slot is allready the focus thread tube of the shutter assembly. The two bolts are fixed to the mounting plate.

Rear lens view of a Retina 117

I have figured out in the between how to take off the lens and shutter assembly. There is a small stop screw for the distance setting ring. It is difficult to reach. When this one has been taken out it is possible to turn the distance ring over and over until the lens and shutter assembly is screwed out of the helical thread.

The remounting is vice versa but one has to pay attention that the slots of the tube match the bolts of the mounting plate. Afterwards the stop screw for the distance ring has to be re-screwed. That might be very tricky. I have not done it yet.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out the rear cell, then post a pic of the back. It does have a retaining ring, it may be the one you see in your pic on the side, the ring with 2 notches otherwise it's right below the lens cell. The complete shutter comes out leaving the helical exposed for clean n lube.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I have taken the shutter and lens unit off the base plate and made some images. There is NO retaining ring. The first image shows the shutter and lens unit complete with it's rear lens and the focussing ring. The slots of the focussings tube are visible.

The second image shows the cameras shutter base plate from the rear side with the lens and shutter unit removed. The two bolts/screw are clearly visible.

The slots of the focussing tube have to fit the bolts when everything is remounted. It works without any retaining ring. I have another 117 and several 118, 119, 126 and 143 to compare. Some details are different but they all share the same princip and as I said: no retaining ring!

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the second image

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration